szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Guys, I've just found a psu. Um, from TACENS, Valeo II 600 Wat, never heard of it. But, the thing is that it looks quite promising and I was hoping that you have some experience with it and can share with me. That psu has a lot of radiators and a heatpipe and here's a test from a polish guy unfortunately:
http://translate.google.pl/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pimpmycomp.net%2Findex.php%3Fid%3Dart79&sl=pl&tl=en
Can you tell me what you think of it? I mean I know that the voltages on 3.3v line are a little weak but a pc will stand it, won't it?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I take it this isn't being used in North America? Tacens site only mentions input voltage of 230v.

As for the review, its a little weak. Even on his stressed setup, it only calculates to 330w load so the PSU wasn't really stressed. Yes, that's right where you'd want to load it, but no efficiency numbers to see if its really that good of a unit. It's also a little on the older side. The Valeo IIIs are already out. But that is interesting to see a heatsink on the back like that.

I agree with obsidian, if this is a stellar deal and that's all the load/connections you plan to put on it, might be okay. But if you're buying new, I'd probably look for something you know will perform well and tested proven efficiency instead of trusting their marketing department. Where are you shopping and what is your budget?

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Around about 75bucks but the thing is that I buy from one shop and one shop only becasue my father gets it from it without tax. And choices are: Areocool, Bequiet, Zalman, Tagan, Tacens, Modecom, Chieftec, Xilence, forton, scythe, OCZ. I guess Bequiet is the best from those but it's also horribly expensive.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
When looking at unknown PSUs, my criteria starts with warranty length. At least 3 years. Anything less, don't consider it. And make sure it doesn't have passive PFC or the little red switch on the back where you can select 120v/240v input.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Ok, thanks. I think I'll be getting something from Scythe, it doesn't look that bad and this brand never let me down. Thanks guys!

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
What do you think guys about Chieftec CFT-650-14CS? It's on channel well tech parts just like some Antecs and looks pretty good.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

Think of that as the pretty, but not so stunning cousin to the Corsair 650HX. Should be the same design and work well for you.

Wait just one moment.

Szymek - Please list your computer components so that we can make valid recommendations. With no list of components we do not know what your power requirements are.

The general rule is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, I now something about that stuff and 600-650wat will power my system with ease.
Cpu: e4700 2.6ghz@3.46ghz
GPU: XFX 5770 1gb
RAM: 4x512 ddr2 800mhz
MB: gigabyte on 945 chipset: ga-945pl-s3
HDD: Samsung hd503HJ
One optical drive
And right now I've got a 350wat psu from Delta, which actually handles this rig but gets hot and noisy.
Also, I've ordered a new chasis(NZXT Tempest Evo) and now want to replace the psu. And in the future I'm gonna buy i7 930 or something(hopefully on 32nm with mb and ddr3) later one more HD503HJ to put it in raid0 and in a two years time I guess another 5770.
I just don't have that cash to do it at once and I have to buy that stuff in parts.
I just wanted to ask you whether some of you maybe have experience with such psus I was considerating and could share some opinions on them.
Thank you for interest.