Sign in with
Your question

AHCI mode???

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2010 1:19:03 PM

Hi,

I am going to buy a new motherboard & new Intel processor. I have a SSD drive and need to enable AHCI mode in the new motherboard, but cannot find this option in many motherboards' manuals (like Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H). Link to this manual:
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual...

I am not sure, as the default mode on many motherboards is IDE, and SSD is much slower in this mode...

Any ideas?

Max

More about : ahci mode

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 10:43:13 PM

No. Ide isn't slower. I've used both with my ssd. ACHI mode caused my ssd to fail twice (both times rma), so I'm using ide mode. I used HDtune benchmarking software and the seek and read rates were about the same for ide as achi.
a c 238 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 10:54:44 PM

On page 47 set on-chip sata mode to enhanced. I think this meansAHCI(advanced host controller interface).

IDE is not intrinsically slower for a SSD. The problem comes when the SSD starts to fill up and space needs to be reclaimed. In IDE mode, this is done with a read/rewrite cycle which is slow.

If your SSD is trim enabled, and your sata driver can pass the trim command to the drive(windows-7), and the sata mode is AHCI, then a OS delete just makes the SSD update it's directory of available space, and does not need to do that read/rewrite operation.

Even in IDE mode, there are batch utilities that can clean up the drive.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 11:08:29 PM

AHCI mode will enable some advanced features of SATA drives, like native command queing, and hot swapping. As far as performance, there is very, very little difference between AHCI and native IDE mode. Very little.

Any board that has an SATA interface has the option to choose AHCI, or IDE mode. It is an advanced option of the SATA controller, you just need to look a little more. Read page 47 again.
In your manual and BIOS, it is referring to "SATA" or "PATA" mode. SATA mode would be AHCI, and PATA mode would be IDE mode. On you board specifically it talks about "enhanced mode (sata) , and non combined mode (IDE)"
You just have to decipher through it, all boards and makers don't use the same terminology. It's pretty much how it the translator reads the meaning during translation, literally, as these manuals are usually written in Chinese first.
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 2:13:47 PM

...surprised that nobody has pointed out that the TRIM command required to keep your expensive SSD is not supported in IDE mode. You *must* use AHCI mode to enable TRIM.
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 8:57:04 PM

My patriot ssd has no trim support. I use ie privacy keeper to clean up leftover files every time I exit explorer. It seems to work fine.
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 11:24:13 PM

marek_max said:
Hi,

I am going to buy a new motherboard & new Intel processor. I have a SSD drive and need to enable AHCI mode in the new motherboard, but cannot find this option in many motherboards' manuals (like Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H). Link to this manual:
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual...

I am not sure, as the default mode on many motherboards is IDE, and SSD is much slower in this mode...

Any ideas?

Max

Page 47 of the manual you provided the link to:

On-Chip SATA Mode [Enhanced] sets all SATA devices to operate in SATA mode.
!