Sign in with
Your question
Solved

35 person small business build

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2010 2:04:03 PM

Hi -

A little bit of a unique question here looking for some of the tom's hardware forums expertise.

Our office computer hardware needs a complete overhaul. Currently we have desktops that are at least 5 years old (maybe 512 mhz ram etc), running on windows 2000.

So, the question is - what would be a couple of the builds used for the staff. (keep in mind all of our in house software are 32 bit)

1. General Workstation (outlook, word, excel). 10-15
2. Designer Workstation (Photoshop/Illustrator, handling 100+ mb files etc). 10-15
3. Sales Workstation (maybe go laptop here). 5-10

Also, would you suggest this from a support standpoint. Have had a very hard time finding deals on desktops.

January 1, 2010 2:46:11 PM

I have been here many times before. If i had to start again and it was a media / tech style company I would totally go Apple. It just works. Currently company has a mix of both, and everytime a PC dies its replaced with an iMac. I was surpised how much the staff wanted an iMac.

iMac for desktops, Macbooks for sales people and a Mac server to run it all. Mac Pros for Designers (although new Imac are very powerful these days)

I am guessing you are not that brave :-)

So option B would be go to Dell - tell them what you are looking for and they will do you a combined deal.

dd26185 said:
Hi -

A little bit of a unique question here looking for some of the tom's hardware forums expertise.

Our office computer hardware needs a complete overhaul. Currently we have desktops that are at least 5 years old (maybe 512 mhz ram etc), running on windows 2000.

So, the question is - what would be a couple of the builds used for the staff. (keep in mind all of our in house software are 32 bit)

1. General Workstation (outlook, word, excel). 10-15
2. Designer Workstation (Photoshop/Illustrator, handling 100+ mb files etc). 10-15
3. Sales Workstation (maybe go laptop here). 5-10

Also, would you suggest this from a support standpoint. Have had a very hard time finding deals on desktops.

m
l
January 1, 2010 4:00:37 PM

woodyuk said:
I have been here many times before. If i had to start again and it was a media / tech style company I would totally go Apple. It just works. Currently company has a mix of both, and everytime a PC dies its replaced with an iMac. I was surpised how much the staff wanted an iMac.

iMac for desktops, Macbooks for sales people and a Mac server to run it all. Mac Pros for Designers (although new Imac are very powerful these days)

I am guessing you are not that brave :-)

So option B would be go to Dell - tell them what you are looking for and they will do you a combined deal.

Hi ---

Yeah that seems to make sense if it was a graphic design studio or something like that. However, we aren't a media/tech style company. A wholesale/importer. We have to integrate with our accounting software, inventory management system (self built very very expensive to replace), edi etc.

Although the designers would LOVE to have a mac, its not an option because data entry/operations must be on a windows based platform and the integration between the two is probably to big of a headache.

Dell > HP or Dell > home build?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 1, 2010 4:48:39 PM

I suppose which is better depends, are you planning to do all the repairs & support in house? I know that if it were me I would far rather maintain machines from standard off the shelf parts than from HP, dell, etc. If you have a support contract through them or something, its completely different.

Assuming you choose to go with the inhouse build I would try to make them as similar and as possible to ease support. For example choose a single type of Am3 785G board for all the desktops. For the general workstations maybe an Athlon II x2 and leave the integrated video, then for the design stations a higher CPU and a dedicated video card, and adjust the ram quantities as needed. Along with this I'd probably use ATI dedicated cards for easier support since the integrated video is ATI. This makes everything as easily interchangable as possible.
You could come up with a similar plan for an intel core2 based setup if you prefer, but either way you'll need some sort of budget to work based on.
January 1, 2010 5:15:20 PM

I would never home build in a business, unless you have a perm member of staff that can deal with it all. Its more hassle than its worth. Dell will do you a deal and they turn up in 4 hours if a problem with anything.
m
l
!