Sign in with
Your question
Solved

E6300(45nm)-E6300(65nm)-Abit ib9

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 8, 2010 11:31:33 PM

Hello, I need some help here......i just ordered E6300 45nm chip and if you look on the Cpu support list (http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu-support-list/mb/intel_p965_i...) list for Abit IB9 you can see that it says E6300 fsb 1066 and results are OK but there is a 45nm and 65nm chip same name, Will this really matter?......i was told that 45nm just means the cpu will run cooler and its smaller(core).

Thank You!

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
March 8, 2010 11:40:37 PM

Yes there is a difference and it could be a problem as you noticed Intel stopped making the core 2 duo 65nm conroes and changed the E6xxx to Pentium dual cores which is a wolfdale. The E6xxxs on your list are from the old conroe family that they dont produce anymore. You were told correct that 45nm cpu are smaller and do run cooler but your motherboard does not support them unless Abit came out with a bios update for it they will not work. If you already bought it you can try it but it probably will not boot if thats the case look for an update to the bios if that dosent work try to return it or buy a mobo that will support it.

Check this article out it will explain what is diffrent. Its much more then size
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolf...
March 8, 2010 11:49:27 PM

Ok thank you....it should be here tomorrow or Wednesday I'll give it a try and BTW Abit are just mean i leave messages and i sent them an e-mail everything and they don't answer...they just say leave message and we will get back to you in 24hrs. I'm trying to get a hold of them to confirm this. Stupid me i didn't think about it not working till new-egg has already shipped my cpu :(  I will post my result once i get the cpu....but see the thing is i saw the latest bios update and it adds support for the E7200-E7300 witch are 45nm chips too, Well wish me luck!
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
March 8, 2010 11:52:50 PM

Yea Abit is not a very popular company next motherboard you purchase look at ASUS, Gigabyte.

Good Luck

If it dont work Newegg is great for RMAs they will take it back no problem and if you call them and say your gonna buy something else from them they will waive the restocking fee and will also email you a shipping label for free they are great for that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 12:41:37 AM

Based on the other chips on the CPU compatibility list, you should be fine with bios ver 14. There are plenty of 45nm chips on there but none of the newest wolfdales under the Pentium dual core banner. But I'm guessing it will be fine. If it does boot, make sure the speed is detected correctly with CPU-Z. Sometimes chips will work, but won't come off of a 6x multiplier.

As for Abit, they no longer make boards so you don't see the name dropped a lot. But they were a very good company with good products in their day.
m
l
March 9, 2010 9:54:07 PM

YES!!! it boots multiplier x10 stable Core Voltage is 1.104v@2.6Ghz(not 2.8Ghz but i guess thats ok?)....here is the picture of info about my board AND YES Chipset P965-ICH8 supports 45nm E6300 with the 07/29/2008 Bios and if i remember correctly E6300(45nm) was released 1Q of 2009 so just wow im so happy!!!:) :)  do not need to Upgrade my board!!

m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 9, 2010 10:11:19 PM

I have been wondering if that would work like that. I kinda figured intel might of designed that Pentium dual core to work in the same board as its conroe counterpart did. I am glad it worked out for you enjoy it.
m
l
March 9, 2010 11:03:48 PM

ya i think so but anyway i have it OC atm i didn't understand why it was running@2.6Ghz so i got it to 3.0Ghz atm and does pi 1M test in 18secs as to where my PD930 was taking 49secs So im Very happy.....one thing i notice was i cant disable CPU EIST Function........i guess its not a big problem but i like it disabled.

And Thank You For the luck yesterday :D 
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 9, 2010 11:31:13 PM

Anytime :D 
m
l
March 20, 2010 12:38:21 AM

Best answer selected by timmy121.
m
l