Server Motherboard help

zenhic

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hi, I work in video editing, and last year, I decided to build my own server computer. I didn't want to but a custom made one because I didn't have the money so I thought buying all the hardware separately would cost less, and it did. Except the motherboard I had didn't really work well and I couldn't harness the complete potential of my hardware. I bought 4 Intel Xeon Processor E5420 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33927) Now I got rid of my old faulty Tyan motherboard. I need to find a motherboard that's compatible with this processor of mine. I've been trying to do some research but I've been unable to find one that meets my specifications like the Tyan one did. So if someone could help, I need the motherboard to not only be house two of those Intel Processors, but the motherboard needs to have 8 DIMMs because I'm using a total of 16gb of fully-buffered ram (FBDIMM), needs to have PCIe x16 Gen, an eSATA port, firewire and RAID capability.

I would really appreciate any input or help anyone could provide me. Thank you.

zenhic

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Wow, thank you for you answer sir. Really helpful. But I can't seem to find PCIe x16 Gen on that motherboard. Can that be installed like the eSATA bracket?

the board has 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16, so the x16 slots are generation 2, if the PCIe x16 Gen is something else (like a riser card) idk, i can't find anything about it

as for the eSata bracket, it doesn't actually use a slot, it just is a low cost solution to take internal sata and turn them into eSata and the bracket just goes into the expansion slots of the case

PCI express slots are the same thing as PCIe and they are the physical slots, so you really can't just buy one and add it (i suppose you could if you had a motherboard with just the slot missing, but this is not the case)