Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 non ti

Last response: in Overclocking
July 23, 2012 4:50:47 PM

hey guys. i've been playing battlefield 3 and i was hoping to get a few more fps
out of my card by overclocking. yesterday, i tried overclocking a bit with a voltage
increase to 1.05v, core clock 930mhz, memory clock 2300mhz. i played for about
20, 30 minutes and i think i smelled smoke so I reset the settings. The max
temperature at this point was 75 F so i dont know why i was smelling smoke. I also
set my fan speed to 65%.

My specs are
i7 2600
PNY GTX 560 non ti
6GB DDR3
Corsair CX600

I'm looking for the highest clock speeds I can reach to get better fps in battlefield 3.
And I'm wondering why GPU driver is crashing when I overclock (I havent changed voltage
for these attempts)

P.S. my case is Dell XPS 8300 so airflow might be a problem, but I'm in no position to change
the case. Would getting a PCI fan help?

Stock clocks for my GPU

Core: 810 mhz
Shader: 1620 mhz
Memory: 2004 mhz

More about : gtx 560

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 5:12:21 PM

My Galaxy GTX 560 does 940 with no voltage bump. (960 with 1v even.) I would drop your memory back to stock. It will probably make the OC much easier for you. (My memory is at stock speed.)

My max temps are around 70C but I have a lot of case fans including 2 side fans and a bottom fan that feed the GPU cool air.
July 23, 2012 5:24:15 PM

ok thank you for the reply. when i oc a bit higher than my current speeds, bf3 crashes in like 15 minutes. do you think thats due to insufficient voltage or heat? because my max temp has been 75. also, would getting a pci fan help the performance?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 5:30:50 PM

I think your memory clock speed is the problem. 930 @1.05 and 75C seems fine to me. (I would expect it to be stable with less voltage, maybe even stock voltage)

However, I had stability issues when I tried to speed up the RAM.

Stock RAM + your other specs has a good chance of working. Give it a try.
July 23, 2012 5:45:10 PM

i tried stock memory clock and 920 on core, it crashed in like 15 mintues again. someone mentioned the power regulator's getting hot. the temp read by msi afterburner is lower than stock when ocing because i change the fan speed
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 6:08:19 PM

I wouldn't go any higher than 1.05v for a 24/7 OC.

There was a particular driver that seemed to cause crashes on my rig a few months back, but I have seen no problems with the last two updates. Make sure your driver is up to date for your card.

If your driver is current, I would regroup.

First ensure that the card isn't broken by testing at stock setting on the card.

If it's good at stock settings, you may just have a card with low OC ability. Try increasing your core clock speed 20Mhz at a time and test. (Start with stock voltage)

Once you start crashing, bump the voltage a little to stabilize, then continue until you reach a clock speed that won't stabilize with the highest voltage/temp you are willing to try. (1.050v?) Then back off the clock speed about 20Mhz.

You may find that your GPU works fine at one speed with low voltage and then crashes just 20 Mhz faster with almost any voltage. (Voltage usually helps, but some chips don't responde to voltage as well as others)
October 7, 2012 4:19:19 PM

Z1NONLY said:
My Galaxy GTX 560 does 940 with no voltage bump. (960 with 1v even.) I would drop your memory back to stock. It will probably make the OC much easier for you. (My memory is at stock speed.)

My max temps are around 70C but I have a lot of case fans including 2 side fans and a bottom fan that feed the GPU cool air.

Thanks a bunch, I also have a Galaxy GTX 560 and the only other overclock I tried got me to 100C before I reset to default. (I increased voltage as well) Now in Skyrim for example, I can play it maxed out with all of my 78 mods, which are mostly graphical enhancements, at 40-80 fps and at a steady 75C-80C (I also increased default fan speeds), as opposed to before I overclocked, maxed out at 20 fps with no mods. Thank you so much. I am much happier now.
!