danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I wanted to ask about something that's perplexed me for quite some time now. If you look through the list of Western Digital drives on newegg (or wherever) you get mostly bare drives, but most of them have a model number that looks like WD####**** where #### is the capacity of the drive and **** is a seemingly random sequence of letters. Now it is possible to find several different drives with the same stats (capacity, RPM, cache, etc) and in the same class (caviar green, caviar black, etc) but have different model numbers and I'd love to know the difference. I've been able to deduce this much:

Caviar Blue: WD####A***
Caviar Green: WD####E***
Caviar Black: WD####F***
VelociRaptor: WD####H***

although they don't always follow that pattern. Basically I'm asking for an explanation of what the letters on the ends of the model numbers mean.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
The link answers all the questions, thanks. I don't know why I didn't find the product list on my own...

I know WD makes some drives specifically for use in DVR's, security systems, and other specialized applications that aren't going to work well for a personal machine and I could never figure out which were which. Thanks.