law school student

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 11:02:45 PM

Hey all,

I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and a
decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on brand
names? I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
warranty.

Thanks

Jason

More about : law school student

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 12:07:40 AM

"Jason Moussourakis" <jay.gatsby@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p PzKc.3017
> Hey all,
> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
> notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and
> decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on
brand
> names?

IBM and Toshiba, in that order.

> I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
> warranty.

Oh, well, er, you can try. If you go into corporate law though, you could
raise that budget.
Richard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 3:27:08 AM

Fujitsu.

dk

"Jason Moussourakis" <jay.gatsby@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p PzKc.3017$iK.1938@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Hey all,
>
> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
> notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and
> decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on
brand
> names? I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
> warranty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 1:45:12 PM

In article <pPzKc.3017$iK.1938@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Jason Moussourakis wrote:
> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
> notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and a
> decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on brand
> names? I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
> warranty.

I can recommend the HP NC6000. Depending on your configuration, this is
between 5 and 6 pounds (I take this to work and back every day, it's not a
problem), it has fantastic battery life (more than 5 hours with MobileMark
2002), an ATI Radeon 9600 (slower than some other mobile 9600s, but you get
much better battery life in return) and comes with a 3 year warranty.

If you're not going for the NC6000, definitely have a look at the IBM T41 or
T42. These laptops are definitely more business-oriented (I find that an
advantage), but gaming is not a problem.

Both of these are reliable high-quality laptops. Ars Technica considers
them to be more or less of the same class:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/nc6000/nc6000-1.html

a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 7:38:29 PM

marlin wrote:
>> "Jason Moussourakis" <jay.gatsby@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:p PzKc.3017
>>> Hey all,
>>> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino,
>>> light-weight notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot
>>> for a 14.1 screen and a decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or
>>> better. Any suggestions on brand names?
>>
>> IBM and Toshiba, in that order.
>>
>>> I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
>>> warranty.
>>
>> Oh, well, er, you can try. If you go into corporate law though, you
>> could raise that budget.
>> Richard

And if you're careful, not taking the extra (extended warranty) leaves you
with more $, which can be useful for other uses/more RAM, say... Also, by
the time (after 3-5 years or more) that your laptop will last, a new one
would be much more attractive than to replace a failed motherboard of a
clunker right?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 7:38:30 PM

Marlin is against extended warranties, and I'm for it. It's $200 so the
issue is moot.

Technology costs, and older technology costs a little less. The 1836BAU
will fit your request, and in most cases, it will be adequate. a bigger hd,
735 processor, better graphics and 3 year warranty will add $1000 to that
price. That's what you should buy, but that's $2500 or so. And if you turn
you back and lose it, you'll wish you lost the $1700 machine.

Your call, what do you like?

"tuned by RÄZO" <NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote in message

> And if you're careful, not taking the extra (extended warranty) leaves you
> with more $, which can be useful for other uses/more RAM, say... Also, by
> the time (after 3-5 years or more) that your laptop will last, a new one
> would be much more attractive than to replace a failed motherboard of a
> clunker right?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 7:38:30 PM

tuned by RÄZO wrote:
[sni]
> And if you're careful, not taking the extra (extended warranty) leaves you
> with more $, which can be useful for other uses/more RAM, say... Also, by
> the time (after 3-5 years or more) that your laptop will last, a new one
> would be much more attractive than to replace a failed motherboard of a
> clunker right?

Well, so far the 3 year warranty that came with all my Compaq (Armada or
Evo) laptops paid off. My old Armada M700 was such a lemon, if I didn't
have the extended warranty I might as well had thrown it out after the
first year. I had 3-4 LCDs, the motherboard, hdd and battery replaced
within the first 2 years, at which point I sold it.

The Evo N410c I replaced it with was flawless, but I only kept if for 6
months (hated the fact that it was a 1 spindle machine and the 1.5-2h
battery life), so I couldn't make use of the warranty. But then it came
with a standard 3 year warranty included in the price.

My current Evo N600c is just as reliable as the N410c. I bought it used
from a friend, with less than 1 year left on the 3 year warranty. The
LCD had some uneven backlight problems (had them since new), and Compaq
replaced it under warranty.

I am strongly considering extending the warranty on this laptop. For
about CAD$70 (US$55) I can get another year, which would be more than
offset if ANYTHING should go wrong with it. Compaq even offers an
accidental warranty (damage caused by spills, drops, etc are covered),
but that is a bit too expensive.

Cosmin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 7:38:30 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:38:29 +0800, "tuned by RÄZO"
<NOSPAMmillajovovich@softhome.net> wrote:

>marlin wrote:
>>> "Jason Moussourakis" <jay.gatsby@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> news:p PzKc.3017
>>>
>>> IBM and Toshiba, in that order.

>>> Oh, well, er, you can try. If you go into corporate law though, you
>>> could raise that budget.
>>> Richard
>
>And if you're careful, not taking the extra (extended warranty) leaves you
>with more $, which can be useful for other uses/more RAM, say... Also, by
>the time (after 3-5 years or more) that your laptop will last, a new one
>would be much more attractive than to replace a failed motherboard of a
>clunker right?

I'd suggest putting that money towards a spare battery. A lot of
people looking at notebooks for the first time assume that the battery
will last 8+ hours, or that they'll be able to plug in wherever and
whenever the battery dies. Nope. Notebook batterys last 2-3 hours on
modest usage on a typical notebook, using power saving and no high
performance apps (no games). 4-5 hours, if you're lucky, or if you
buy a really power efficient one. Second, you can't just plug into
whatever socket's nearby. That would be rude and might get you in
trouble. You have to ask permission first, and you won't always get
it.

That, and the guy's requirement for a "gaming" level video subsystem
means that this machine won't be tuned for power efficiency. It's
going to be a real power guzzler.

MCheu
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 7:38:31 PM

"Helena" <helenaa1NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Marlin is against extended warranties, and I'm for it. It's $200 so the
> issue is moot.

Howd you know?
Richard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 8:09:39 PM

I've been shopping and I'm not as smart as I need to be. There is $2700
into a Fujitsu n5010; a delightful machine that sees nearly constant service
in the last 6 months and will probably use the somewhat expensive extended
warranty. But now I'm told it is too large to carry.

I'm considering a t40, t41 or t42. The nc6000 is also on the list to
consider. I hear rumors there are new T30's about. If I find them, I might
just buy a few. I use these machines as much as anyone, and a pentium-m 1.3
is a pretty able processor and should be for the three year life of a
computer. Do a decent hd, graphics and wireless, that's all I or the kids
need.

And if they don't like it, I tell them to marry money.

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> "Helena" <helenaa1NOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Marlin is against extended warranties, and I'm for it. It's $200 so the
> > issue is moot.
>
> Howd you know?
> Richard

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2004 12:41:09 AM

In article <cdg578$rbo$1@news.tudelft.nl>, Charl P. Botha wrote:
>In article <pPzKc.3017$iK.1938@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>Jason Moussourakis wrote:
>> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
>> notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and a
>> decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on brand
>> names? I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
>> warranty.
>
>I can recommend the HP NC6000. Depending on your configuration, this is
>between 5 and 6 pounds (I take this to work and back every day, it's not a
>problem), it has fantastic battery life (more than 5 hours with MobileMark
>2002), an ATI Radeon 9600 (slower than some other mobile 9600s, but you get
>much better battery life in return) and comes with a 3 year warranty.
>
>If you're not going for the NC6000, definitely have a look at the IBM T41 or
>T42. These laptops are definitely more business-oriented (I find that an
>advantage), but gaming is not a problem.
>
>Both of these are reliable high-quality laptops. Ars Technica considers
>them to be more or less of the same class:
>http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/nc6000/nc6000-1.html

Do you happen to know whether 3D acceleration works under Linux for nc6000's
ATi 9600 graphics? SuSE's web site mentions that only framebuffer graphics are
supported by the XFree driver, but apparently ATi also has binary-only
drivers for this. Those provide at least Xv, but as a graphics programmer
I care more about 3-D support.

Thanks -

Stuart Levy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2004 1:07:09 PM

In article <FxALc.14$or1.12@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, Stuart Levy wrote:
> In article <cdg578$rbo$1@news.tudelft.nl>, Charl P. Botha wrote:
>>In article <pPzKc.3017$iK.1938@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>>Jason Moussourakis wrote:
>>> I'm starting law school in the fall, and I need a centrino, light-weight
>>> notebook that's around 5 pounds. I'd like to shoot for a 14.1 screen and a
>>> decent video card for gaming...ati 9000 or better. Any suggestions on brand
>>> names? I'm shooting for less than 2000 bucks, including a 2-3 year
>>> warranty.
>>
>>I can recommend the HP NC6000. Depending on your configuration, this is
>>between 5 and 6 pounds (I take this to work and back every day, it's not a
>>problem), it has fantastic battery life (more than 5 hours with MobileMark
>>2002), an ATI Radeon 9600 (slower than some other mobile 9600s, but you get
>>much better battery life in return) and comes with a 3 year warranty.
>
> Do you happen to know whether 3D acceleration works under Linux for nc6000's
> ATi 9600 graphics? SuSE's web site mentions that only framebuffer graphics are
> supported by the XFree driver, but apparently ATi also has binary-only
> drivers for this. Those provide at least Xv, but as a graphics programmer
> I care more about 3-D support.

I gave up fighting with Linux on PC laptops a long time ago (I used to put a
lot of effort into trying to help improve the status quo): at the moment you
NEVER get your money's worth with Linux on a thin-and-light *modern* laptop.
Pre-emptive warning to Linux zealots: "modern" means that the laptop was
first released in the past 12 months. "Thin-and-light" means that it's not
one of those desktop replacement 1 hour battery life no-name attempts.

My answer to the whole dilemma was to make sure that all my code (a lot of
3d visualisation and image processing) was practically cross-platform.
Nowadays I develop in parallel on Linux (Dell workstation at work) and on XP
(on the NC6000); my research software ships for both platforms. XP with
Cygwin is actually not bad at all.

So, that being said, HP has actually gone to the trouble of certifying the
NC6000 for use with Linux, and judging by what google coughs up, people have
had success getting the 3D graphics going with the proprietary ATI drivers.
That leaves getting software suspend/resume to work... in general swsusp2 is
a wonderful piece of software, but it requires special support in the
graphics drivers if DRI is involved. I don't know if ATI has ported my work
on this yet[1]. Even if they have, S3 (suspend-to-ram) will definitely not
work. There is still too much that has to be done on the drivers and on the
Linux ACPI support. Believe me, I've put in my hours on trying to fix this
too, with little success. It is also an accepted fact that the power
management on Linux is not quite up to the standard of what's in XP for a
modern laptop, especially with things like the power management
functionality of the ATI Mobility 9600.

In short: Linux on the NC6000 is a noble goal, but you'll be doing yourself
in, as you'll be spending quite an amount on a very good laptop, but due to
your choice of OS you won't be able to use the laptop to its full potential.

Good luck,
Charl

[1] http://cpbotha.net/dri_resume.html