Your question

OEM OS with new motherboard?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hardware
  • OEM
Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2010 6:19:48 PM

I got a new motherboard the other day (XFX 780i).

It started just fine but it wouldn't let me reinstall the OS at all. i was hearing that the OS won't install if it's OEM and new hardware has been installed, is this true?

More about : oem motherboard

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 6:40:24 PM

After replacing the MOBO you will need to boot from the Windows installation disk and run a REPAIR installation (not going to the Repair Console but a Repair install which is on the next set of options) - this will replace all of the system drivers with the ones for the new MOBO and delete the old drivers for the old MOBO while leaving your programs ans settings installed -- After doing that you should be able to boot into windows (the problem right now is those drivers most likely) - once you can boot into windows it may say that you have to reactivate it (since you changed significant parts of the hardware) if it does just do the phone activation and it should reactivate fine (I've done it several times on several different machines and never had a problem with reactivating the OS with a simple phone call and typing in the code given by the computerized operator !)
m
l
July 25, 2010 8:19:25 PM

JDFan said:
After replacing the MOBO you will need to boot from the Windows installation disk and run a REPAIR installation (not going to the Repair Console but a Repair install which is on the next set of options) - this will replace all of the system drivers with the ones for the new MOBO and delete the old drivers for the old MOBO while leaving your programs ans settings installed -- After doing that you should be able to boot into windows (the problem right now is those drivers most likely) - once you can boot into windows it may say that you have to reactivate it (since you changed significant parts of the hardware) if it does just do the phone activation and it should reactivate fine (I've done it several times on several different machines and never had a problem with reactivating the OS with a simple phone call and typing in the code given by the computerized operator !)

I did that and it said the repair was successful, after that it'd try to load the desktop but it'd say "VGA no signal" and take me back to the BIOS.
m
l
!