How many fans to overclock a pc

G

Hello,
how many fans would i roughly need to keep an overclocked pc cool?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
If you are just overclocking a two core Athlon by a couple hundred Mhz with no voltage bump, stock cooling may be fine.

If you are overclocking an 8150 to 6Ghz with crazy voltage, you probably can't buy enough fans to keep it cool.

So the answer depends on what CPU, what frequency, and what voltage you use to run at that frequency.

There are other considerations, but those are the main ones in my book. Your CPU fan/heat sink will make the most difference, and your needs will depend on your equipment and what you are doing with it.

If you are pushing the limits of your MB, a top mounted fan(s)s pulling heat out as well as a bottom/front mounted fan(s) pulling in cool air is a good idea.

I consider 1 in, 1 out, to be the bare minimum regarding case fans, but that can be subjective, and equipment/task dependent as well.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
how many fans would i roughly need to keep an overclocked pc cool?

There are several variables involved in overclocking. Your case, voltage, clock rate, and environmental variables will vary. Essentially what Z1NONLY is trying to explain; is that overclocking is creating faster performance. By creating this boost; your pushing more electricity which creates more heat.

So overclocking becomes a fine line; performance + temperature = stability.

The reason I'm expressing it in the form of a mathematical formula; is because increasing either of those two variables will directly impact your stability.

So when you increase voltage; your increasing current. Which will now generate more heat. By having more electrons circulating for calculation you generate more heat. Heat eventually will create issues; which will cause it to overheat and or fail. So your ability to dissipate is important.

Now that I've explained how the variables can impact each other, these are important for successful overclocking.

1. Your Central Processing Unit (CPU) - Each processor is different; each attainable speed may vary. As some may have more or less silicon. This can help offset that increase in heat. So your processor will have it's own power and thermal inductive limit.

2. Random Access Memory (RAM) - Your memory is just as vital as your processor. As your CPU will perform the calculations; which will provide your performance. Your memory's ability to store the data in it, then send it to your processor. The faster they can exchange information which will allow calculations to occur more rapidly.

By overclocking these items; if it is pushed too far you may create system instability. Too little; may actually become less efficient. The goal is to optimize both, the less electrical circulation with the highest calculation rate becomes the best form of overclocking. As it creates the most power per watt.

Now to your original question. How many fans would it take to keep your overclocked machine cool?

As I stated above, you have all these variables to consider. Each one will affect your outcome. But overclocking your machine will generate significant heat. The inability to dissipate or transfer heat will cause the failure or crash.

1. Your case, certain materials will retain heat more then others.
2. How much cooling can you put into your case?
3. Room temperature, a hot room can also impact your machine.
4. Significant moisture in the air

All of those items can impact how much heat your machine will generate. You'll have to effectively cool your components.

An example:
Case: Antec 1100 Case ( Seven Fans )
Cpu: i7-920 (After market Heatsink / Cooler (Two Fans))
Memory: Mushkin Redline Enhanced ( Memory Cooler ( Six Fans) )
GPU: SLI GTX 580 (X2) - Enhanced GPU Coolers. (Six Fans)

Then I've modded my case with an additional six fans. The fan selection was always based on the highest CFM's and RPM. The more air it can push, the faster it does it. The better your heat dissipation will be.

That machine above is overclocked; very heavily. The CPU's idle temperature is 23-26 degree's Celsius. Under load it hits about 60-70 degree's Celsius. My graphics cards idle around 30-35 degree's Celsius and my under load hit around 65-75 degree's Celsius.

CPU Stock: 2.6 GHz
CPU Overclocked: 4.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo)

GPU Stock: 772 MHz
GPU Overclocked: 960 MHz

You can see the gains; the gains are there. However something that is often overlooked; especially with keeping your machine cooled while overclocked. Sound; my machine under load has the better amount of six to ten fans spinning at 3,400 RPM's. It can get really, really loud.

These are all things to consider; this is why Liquid Cooling and Sub-Cooling are so effective. They cost more, but tend to dissipate heat more effective and are quieter.

Hopefully I've provided you with several important details to consider in your choice. If you need more assistance, please let us know. The community would be happy to assist.

Just remember, limit your variables as you overclock. That way you can optimize your performance and cooling to attain the best numbers.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
You are asking about overclocking a PC, are you referring strictly to CPU overclocking or GPU + CPU + RAM overclocking. There are many different devices that can be overclocked so please be more specific.

For a blanket answer, I'm going to assume that you are only going to be overclocking the CPU. In such a case, you will most likely need a CPU cooler with one 120mm fan if you are running any phenom or later AMD cpu or any of the core i series CPUs from intel. You will also need a rear exhaust fan for your case (preferably also at least 120mm) and an intake fan for your case (also at least 120mm) in order to provide sufficient airflow.

Basically for the rock-bottom-cheapest stable CPU overclock, you will need 3x120mm fans (one for the CPU, one for exhaust and one for intake).

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thanks for asking an important question; I totally left that out. Forgot to ask what exactly he was trying to overclock. Assumed CPU, GPU, or Memory. So I gave a loosely broad response.