Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Nvidia SLI Multi-Card confussion HELP!?!?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 29, 2009 7:52:39 PM

First thing im no so good with the english


I got a 9600GSO i want to use Nvidia SLI MultiCard or i heard that you can use Nvidia and ATI both at the same time with the bridge connection, ATI using Graphics and Nvidia using PhsyX but i dont now HOW...

and about Nvidia MultiCard wich high performance card can i use with my 9600GSO using SLI MultiCard

Thanks and sorry for my english

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2009 8:08:28 PM

The 9600GSO is by no means high performance. And so far as combining multiple cards, they must be the same graphics card.

For ATI "Crossfire" both cards must be ATI and be the same model (i.e. 4870 + 4870)

For nVidia "SLI" the same is true. Both cards must be the same.

You can't combine ATI & nVidia cards together and have them work with one another.

As far as PhysX goes, you can install two nVidia cards that are NOT the same, and use one for PhysX while the other (usually the better of the two cards) does everything else. Also, very important, is to determine if your motherboard supports ATI Crossfire or nVidia SLI. As early motherboards only supported one or the other, and not both.

Then, depending on what you're intention is, you may have to look at details on whether your power supply can provide enough power for both video cards.
Share
December 29, 2009 8:12:20 PM

thanks jerreece but for PhysX i can use my GSO for PhysX and for example a 260GT for Graphics??? use both on SLI
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 29, 2009 8:17:17 PM

JavierElNeNe said:
thanks jerreece but for PhysX i can use my GSO for PhysX and for example a 260GT for Graphics??? use both on SLI

No, there will be no SLI.
m
0
l
December 29, 2009 8:19:49 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No, there will be no SLI.



but can be MultiCard?? one using physX and another using graphics job??


wich card you reccomend with the 9600GSO
m
0
l
December 29, 2009 8:20:04 PM

jerreece said:

For ATI "Crossfire" both cards must be ATI and be the same model (i.e. 4870 + 4870).

For more recent ATI cards, you don't need to have the same model to Crossfire, although I don't beleive that applies to nVidia.

Here is the ATI Crossfire compatibilitgy chart - prior to the 5xxx series - I don't know where the one is that includes it.

http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/charts.html


m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 29, 2009 8:32:06 PM

You can use the GSO for PhysX, and use the 260GTX for graphics. However, they would not be an "SLI" setup.

SLI would required two matching video cards. The design of SLI would allow two graphics cards to compute graphics simultaneously, distributing the workload between them.

PhysX on the other hand, allows one nVidia card to literally do computations for physics related aspects of a game, and the other video card would do all other graphical computations.

PhysX and SLI are not the same thing. Both however, are an nVidia only feature.
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 29, 2009 8:33:59 PM

JavierElNeNe said:
but can be MultiCard?? one using physX and another using graphics job??


wich card you reccomend with the 9600GSO

That would work, be it with a GTX260 or GTX275 either would be OK.
m
0
l
December 29, 2009 8:37:12 PM

Being able to CF two different cards in a series is kind of pointless because the faster card will downclock itself to the slower card, so say you had a 4870 and a 4850 it would be like two 4850s and you would have spent extra money for the 4870. The only way to use two cards from NV and ATI is through the lucid hydra chipset which isn't on a consumer board yet. The only one I've heard about is the MSI's Big Bang Fuzion.
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 29, 2009 8:42:06 PM

anonymousdude said:
Being able to CF two different cards in a series is kind of pointless because the faster card will downclock itself to the slower card, so say you had a 4870 and a 4850 it would be like two 4850s and you would have spent extra money for the 4870. The only way to use two cards from NV and ATI is through the lucid hydra chipset which isn't on a consumer board yet. The only one I've heard about is the MSI's Big Bang Fuzion.

I don't think the Lucid chip supports all and every Ati and Nvidia card in a multi GPU config.
m
0
l
December 29, 2009 11:08:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I don't think the Lucid chip supports all and every Ati and Nvidia card in a multi GPU config.


I've only heard about what it does and not really about the specifics like what series cards it will support or anything like that.
m
0
l
!