Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC won't boot windows and fans are blowing loudly.

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2010 8:15:19 PM

My custom-built PC won't boot windows and my fans blowing loudly. Nothing appears on my PC monitor and it states that it cannot get a signal. This issue always occur when my PC is on for more than 3 hours, so I think it ties to overheating. I have phenom II 720 tri-core with 4th core unlocked, voltage set to 1.4V, and OC to 3.3 ghz wuth cool n'quiet disabled. I'm using a Scythe SCKTN-3000 to cool my CPU. As for my video card, I have a HD5850 OC'ed to 670 mhz core clock and 1125 mhz memory clock.

January 1, 2010 9:23:38 PM

Quick update: My PC reacts to the slightest vibrations.
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:58:34 PM

after you mentioned that your pc responds to vibrations, I would then breadboard it ( take everythign out and put it on a piece of cardboard or would and see if it works. if so, then it is a grounding problem.. please also give a list of your hardware psu/model voltages amps on 12v etc and mainboard also check memory settings if you can get it up at all.. try also to reset cmos and see if it runs at default settings. let us know what happens so we can further help you

Edited for wording
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 2, 2010 12:12:35 AM

Hard Line said:
... I would then breadbox breadboard it

:) 

And put everything back to stock settings. There's a reason AMD deactivated one of the CPU cores instead of selling it as a quad core CPU.

And system specs?
m
l
January 2, 2010 12:21:11 AM

the Gf was talking about needing bread so I was thinking box instead of board..lol thx for correcting. I edited to correct
m
l
January 2, 2010 1:30:41 AM

jsc said:
:) 

And put everything back to stock settings. There's a reason AMD deactivated one of the CPU cores instead of selling it as a quad core CPU.

And system specs?

Here are current specs as of now:

XFX HD5850 everything MAX OC in CCC and running 65c at load.

Phenom II 720 OC to 3.2ghz with 4th core unlocked and running stable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO MB

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB 1600 OC to 800mhz

WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM

I followed Hard Line's advice and took apart my PC and checked for any burns, and didn't find any defective components. Afterward, I reassembled my PCand reset my CMOS. Now I have the black screen of death and all I can move is my mouse cursor.
m
l

Best solution

January 2, 2010 2:22:47 PM

what I meant was bread board - take everything out on some cardboard or other non conductive surface, and assemble it there and turn on and see if it posts.. but now that you have a screen... set to defaults adn see what happens.. if you are still having issues, i would then start by using memtest 86+ to test ram, also would run a chkdsk on the hard drive, and if they come up clean, I would try a dif graphics card.. you didn't by any chance upgrade your mainboard or that and cpu etc and kept hard drive right? cuz you do need to format the drive and reinstall windows fresh after major hardware upgrades. please keep us updated on teh situation
January 6, 2010 9:18:38 PM

Hard Line said:
what I meant was bread board - take everything out on some cardboard or other non conductive surface, and assemble it there and turn on and see if it posts.. but now that you have a screen... set to defaults adn see what happens.. if you are still having issues, i would then start by using memtest 86+ to test ram, also would run a chkdsk on the hard drive, and if they come up clean, I would try a dif graphics card.. you didn't by any chance upgrade your mainboard or that and cpu etc and kept hard drive right? cuz you do need to format the drive and reinstall windows fresh after major hardware upgrades. please keep us updated on teh situation

I figure out my issue when taking apart my PC. My MB wasn't properly secured onto my case and was missing a screw. Thanks for everyone's help, especially Hard Line's.
m
l
January 8, 2010 12:06:14 AM

you are very welcome... glad I could help
m
l
!