Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Build. Major Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2010 8:07:14 PM

Hey all,

Just built a system for my brother that has not been overclocked at all and the machine is crashing on a regular basis, I get blue screens all the time.
Here are the specs:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard Rev. 2
Intel Core i7 940 CPU
OCZ RAM 6G (3 x 2G) DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel
Sapphire Toxic 5850 1GB Video Card
1GB Western Digital Hard drive

Any ideas as to why it might be crashing? We took it in to a shop regarding this issue and they apparently adjusted the ram timings. Thought the problem was fixed but after I installed a few programs afterward (Nero etc.), the thing kept on crashing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
btw, I am using a stock heat sink for the CPU and have an OCZ 700Watt PSU

Thanks
a c 221 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 9:36:02 PM

Have you downloaded and run memtest86+ to determine if you have any problems with your memory modules?

Download the appropriate pre-compiled bootable from:

http://www.memtest.org/

Make sure your memory modules are set to OCZ's recommended timings and voltage.

Test one memory module at a time first. If any one of the memory modules shows even one error then it's RMA time. You might want to include a copy of the error log when you RMA.

If each memory module passes the tests without any errors then add another to test dual channel stability.

If the dual channel tests passes without errors add the third memory module to test triple channel stability.
m
l
July 25, 2010 9:50:15 PM

I second ko88 run memtest to rule out memory and we can help you from there. also make sure your timings are set correctly in the bios
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 12:28:13 AM

I third, what am I thirding?? Oh, yeah Memetest86 use the ISO.

In addition, BSOD might have something to do with "junk" that your brother might have installed; suggest restarting in Diagnostic mode ; RUN msconfig | General tab.

"For myself" anytime I recycle a PC to another user I Reformat {not quick format} & Reinstall the OS.

..oops - just reread, I mis-read, you built FOR your brother...duh me.

Could be a lot of things, after memtest re-seat everything, and and if necessary pull the CPU and look for bent pins...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 12:38:53 AM

Detailed MemTest86+ download and preparation (floppy, USB, or CD...) in about the middle of, and actual testing techniques toward the bottom of: Memory - Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning"...
m
l
August 2, 2010 8:04:15 PM

Thanks guys, I will try it and see if it works.
So far I have uninstalled some Gigabyte software and that has kept the system stable.
Don't know why it worked but no blue screens yet.

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 8:58:02 PM

Most anyone will tell you NOT to use ANY Gigabyte software (NONE).
m
l
August 9, 2010 1:11:56 AM

lol, since I've uninstalled all Gigabyte software, there has been absolutely no issues or crashing so far! haha. Thanks for the advice.
m
l
August 9, 2010 2:42:48 AM

glad you got it sorted out
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 4:24:02 PM

clift said:
lol, since I've uninstalled all Gigabyte software, there has been absolutely no issues or crashing so far! haha. Thanks for the advice.

Congrats - You'd think it would..! :heink: 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 7:27:24 PM

There is a bit about the cause of the problems with 'system' software at the end of Memory Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning"; I avoid things from anywhere that include 'ring zero' components - GB is not the only offender...
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 9, 2010 9:51:53 PM

GA software still is ^&$*&@... :kaola: 
m
l
!