Sign in with
Your question

ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2009 8:45:15 PM

Hello, I just recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850.

I installed it, and installed the latest drivers on the website, CCC 9.12.

I then wanted to play some games on some high settings.

I played L4D2 and then I noticed that there was some green flash when I was playing. It's hard to describe the green flash. It's not a green screen, just a part of the screen, and it wasn't just a box of it. It took the shape of the surroundings it covered up. It's like the spray paint can of things.

Here is a picture I did in paint to show you guys.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7496/4850problem.png

I then thought it was just L4D2, so I played another game; Warcraft 3.

It occured less frequently than it did in L4D2, but it still happened.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks
December 29, 2009 8:49:58 PM

Use HWMonitor or GPU-Z to keep an eye on temperatures. Is this a new build, or are you replacing another card? If you are, what was it and did you remove its drivers and then run driver sweeper? Also, what is the card's clockspeed (is it OC'ed or Factory OC'ed)?
m
l
December 29, 2009 9:13:49 PM

Hello, thanks for replying.

The temperatures of the GPU are around 38C idle. When I'm playing L4D2 They go around 42C. (I'm not sure if this is possible, but that's what the program said.)

I am replacing another card, which was the ATI Radeon 2600Pro.

I installed the 9.12 first, but then it occured and I uninstalled all the drivers, then re-installed 9.12, would that be the problem?

The clockspeed is Factory OC'ed, because I haven't done anything to it yet.

EDIT: I did it again, the GPU said that the highest I reached was 66C.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2009 9:38:50 PM

Sorry for double post.

I am currently using Windows 7 32-bit, if that is an issue.

My room temperature is 21C, and I live in Canada.

I noticed this does not happen when I am playing Dragon Age: Origins.

My friend noticed that it is happening only on online games for me, maybe that is an issue?
m
l
December 30, 2009 2:03:58 AM

Almost sounds like artifacts

An artifact in gfx cards is usually a form of h/ware failure. While still useable, the card can provide undesirable results when pushed.

If your card has a warranty id look at sending it back.

Otherwise, isolate the card. Use a different card in your system and use that card in another working system. Thats really the only conclusive way of knowing.
m
l
December 30, 2009 2:26:10 AM

Okay, I will try and test this card on my brothers computer, when he builds it. His motherboard should be coming in next week, hopefully I can tell you guys when it happens.
m
l
December 30, 2009 7:39:18 PM

Hey guys, I isolated the problem today. Whenever I have anti-aliasing in any games, this problem occurs. When AA is off, the problem doesn't come up. Does anyone know why?
m
l
December 31, 2009 1:00:31 AM

Again, im thinking h/ware issues.

-Is the card new? Call/email the vendor and ask them. Its probably worth returning.
-2nd hand? Maybe the card was sold because it was faulty.

Check the card on a different machine and try replicate the failure. If you can, its an issue with the card, simple.

As for why AA causes an error...
1.) AA puts more load on the card. When cards die they can die slowly. Extra load often causes errors not seen otherwise.
2.) The AA 'chip/section/woteva' of the card has become faulty while all other components are working fine.

Either way it doesn't matter. AA doesn't work.
m
l
December 31, 2009 1:29:12 AM

I played Warcraft 3 TFT today, and it pops up in that game, in the places I can't see, the green pops up in the 'fog of war'. WC3 doesn't have an anti-aliasing option, so I don't know how I can turn that off.

If I can replicate this on my brothers new computer he's building, then it is probably the card that is faulty.

If not, then I will email Sapphire about this issue.

NOTE: I tried taking screen shots of this, but it is not possible. When WC3 game ends, you can save a replay. It happens also on that, but not in the same areas. Maybe it is my monitor? I'm not sure.
m
l
January 20, 2010 11:21:11 AM

I'm having the same problem with may Sapphire 4850. I have Windows 7 64bit installed and Everytime AA is on this problem occurs, in almost every game.

Don't know if it's a hardware issue. Maybe we should try on a Windows XP install to see if it's a problem with windows 7 or if we should punch ATI in the face :p 

Edit 1:

Just for the record. I'm using ATI Catalyst 9.12 as well.
m
l
!