Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AM3 CPU on AM2 socket?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 9, 2010 9:20:22 AM

Hello, I wanna know if I can run AMD II X2 245 (2.9GHz dual-core AM3) on my AM2 motherboard (http://sharedreviews.com/computers/computer-peripherals...)?

And can I put nVidia 9800GT on my motherboard?

Thank you so much. :hello: 

More about : am3 cpu am2 socket

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 10:21:05 AM

I doubt you can run the CPU but I can't find any hard details.

graphics card should be fine, it has a PCIe x16 slot so if your PSU is up to it, it should run.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 10:30:18 AM

My motherboard box says it has AM2 socket, it currently runs on an AMD Sempron.

I've heard some AM3 processors work fine on some AM2 sockets but with HyperTransport disabled and can only run DDR2 RAMs. But I dont know if this is true. :??: 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 10:55:21 AM

AM2+ boards maybe but I'm not so sure on AM2. As I say, I can't find any concrete evidence either way.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 12:43:05 PM

muhaymin said:
Hello, I wanna know if I can run AMD II X2 245 (2.9GHz dual-core AM3) on my AM2 motherboard (http://sharedreviews.com/computers/computer-peripherals...)?

No, you can not run an AM3 CPU in your AM2 board. You need at least a BIOS upgrade to support AM3 if ever but according to Emaxx website, this mobo's latest BIOS will only support up to AM2+
http://www.emaxxtech.com/products.php?id=1
So AM2+ processors will be your maximum upgrade. There are decent AM2+ processors that will pair up well with the 9800GT. But if you can consider ATI HD4770 which is at the same price range but will beat the 9800GT in terms of performance.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 1:19:43 PM

randomkid said:
No, you can not run an AM3 CPU in your AM2 board. You need at least a BIOS upgrade to support AM3 if ever but according to Emaxx website, this mobo's latest BIOS will only support up to AM2+
http://www.emaxxtech.com/products.php?id=1
So AM2+ processors will be your maximum upgrade. There are decent AM2+ processors that will pair up well with the 9800GT. But if you can consider ATI HD4770 which is at the same price range but will beat the 9800GT in terms of performance.


Aw. That means I need to buy a new motherboard? I'm actually planning to run GTA IV on my PC.

And thanks for the ATI recommendation. I'll check it out.
m
0
l
April 16, 2010 12:28:46 AM

randomkid said:
No, you can not run an AM3 CPU in your AM2 board. You need at least a BIOS upgrade to support AM3 if ever but according to Emaxx website, this mobo's latest BIOS will only support up to AM2+
http://www.emaxxtech.com/products.php?id=1
So AM2+ processors will be your maximum upgrade. There are decent AM2+ processors that will pair up well with the 9800GT. But if you can consider ATI HD4770 which is at the same price range but will beat the 9800GT in terms of performance.

how about if you have a AM+2 board and are running a top QC for it, can you run a am3 processors with that board
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 12:32:14 AM

Get a supported am2+ cpu if any are. You don't need more with only an 8800GT.
m
0
l
April 16, 2010 12:55:28 AM

I think AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2 sockets. Here is a section of the Wikipedia article on AM2 sockets... "Socket AM3 processors may be able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards, but not vice-versa. AM3 processors will have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards." See the whole article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2010 1:26:28 AM

ammhardware said:
I think AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2 sockets. Here is a section of the Wikipedia article on AM2 sockets... "Socket AM3 processors may be able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards, but not vice-versa. AM3 processors will have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards." See the whole article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2

Sure, some AM2 motherboards can support AM3. My own ECS GF8200A is an AM2 board but I ran an AM3 X3 720BE on it. But you need a bios upgrade and it depends on the motherboard manufacturer to release one that do support AM3.
The OP's particular motherboard do not have any BIOS release that have AM3 support.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2010 2:05:31 AM

The answer is yes, all AM3 cpu should work on all AM2 motherboards by design. The bios issue applies to any board/socket. If a new AM3 stepping comes out, even AM3 boards need a bios update.

So like everyone else said, look at your motherboards cpu support list.

Your boards last bios update supports Agena Phenoms revision B2. This is the original Phenom 9500 and 9600. Not the 9550 or the 9650. Only the B2 revision. Maybe B3 would work(all other Agena, Kuma, and Tollimon phenoms) , but only B2 is officially supported.

And yes, the 9800 should work fine, if your PSU can support it.
m
0
l
!