What is the difference?

doomdesire86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
On a really tight budget, and I'm already 100$ over it, yet I really want this build so I'm looking for smaller ways to save money.
Anways, I would looking at the 7850 cards and I was wondering what the difference between the 1 GB and 2GB versions? Currently the one in my build is the 2GB version for almost 25$ more.

Does memory amount affect gaming performance at all? And if so, will there be a difference between 1 GB and 2 GB on a 1080P monitor?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

I have the same (well the twin frozr II msi idk about you but still a 7850) card and the only games I see now that used more than 1GB are BF3 and GTA IV... also maybe Witcher 2 but I don't know. It's up to you but I think that 20$ for 1gb more would be worth it, it's a very fast card btw I can run every game on the market on the highest possible settings at 60fps+ including the ones I mentioned earlier. So much more awesome than my old gts 450.

Maybe (I know this would sound pretty stupid) skip adding a dvdwriter or bluray burner? I never used a dvd in years... and they usually cost 25$+ so it would pay for this card. You can watch movies online, transfer data through USB flash drives (you can get one like 32gb+ plenty of space), use the flash drive as an OS flash drive or simply store stuff so you won't need one anymore. I regret getting mine if I didn't I could've got the 2500k instead of 2400 but it's too late now. Never used it once it just sits there and gathers dust. You can add one later if you really need to but you'd only have to save up like 20$ for it, unlike saving up 250 or whatever you're going to pay for your 7850.