rjn239

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Hello,
Hopefully somebody can help me with a problem I am currently facing. My graphics card in my laptop has gone and I can't see anything on the built in display and nothing on an external monitor. I have data on the hard drive I desperately need, so I took the hard drive out of the laptop and brought a special cradle that allows the hard drive to connect to another computer through USB.

The problem now is that the other computers won't pick my hard drive up and I think that it is because I had 3 partions on the hard drive so it doesnt know which one to load? I have tried opening up disc managment in my computer but it times out and won't open.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get into this hard drive without losing all my data?

I would be entirely greatful for ANY help or advice.

Thanks,
Ryan

rjn239

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks for all your replies!

Thanks, I'll give this ago. Just wondering if it will work if the computer won't see the connected hard drive though.

Sadly not, when I plug it in it installs the drivers for the hard drive and for the usb cradle but then the hard drive idles and I don't get a popup or anything, it doesn't appear in my computer nor can i access the disk management to try and assign it a drive letter =/

rjn239

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

Well it started when I postponed windows update from restarting my computer. Next thing I know lines appeared on the screen when running windows and when in the bios, which lead me to believe it was a display issue.
Eventually the screen has gone completely grey all the time and so I put it on my docking station where it did output an image (not properly but it was see able) i could see it loading windows so it appears the harddrive is functioning.. It got to the welcome screen and said please wait configuring updates before changing to failure to configure updates reverting back to old settings. It then gets to the press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to log on and I've got so far as to enter my password.. But then the computer crashes and seems to enter a continual boot loop (it won't go back to the windows screen) if I leave it for a while I can get to the logos screen but then have the same issue as before it just crashes.

Strange situation eh?