Sign in with
Your question

Need data from a hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2011 6:58:13 PM

Hello,
Hopefully somebody can help me with a problem I am currently facing. My graphics card in my laptop has gone and I can't see anything on the built in display and nothing on an external monitor. I have data on the hard drive I desperately need, so I took the hard drive out of the laptop and brought a special cradle that allows the hard drive to connect to another computer through USB.

The problem now is that the other computers won't pick my hard drive up and I think that it is because I had 3 partions on the hard drive so it doesnt know which one to load? I have tried opening up disc managment in my computer but it times out and won't open.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get into this hard drive without losing all my data?

I would be entirely greatful for ANY help or advice.

Thanks,
Ryan

More about : data hard drive

a b U Graphics card
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 2:37:34 AM

Plug the hard drive directly into a desktop computer.
Related resources
December 18, 2011 8:31:47 AM

Thanks for all your replies!

techeasy said:
Stop using your device and then restore files off your drive.

Try freeware recuva - undelete or freeware icare data recovery free editon http://www.icare-recovery.com/data-recovery-free.html

Do not write data on the data lost drive, or you might lose your files.

Thanks, I'll give this ago. Just wondering if it will work if the computer won't see the connected hard drive though.

JackNaylorPE said:
The partitons are not the issue.... When you plug in the drive, do you get a Windows Pop Up asking what ya wanna do with it ?

I use this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sadly not, when I plug it in it installs the drivers for the hard drive and for the usb cradle but then the hard drive idles and I don't get a popup or anything, it doesn't appear in my computer nor can i access the disk management to try and assign it a drive letter =/
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 8:49:01 AM

Are you sure it was a display issue? Sounds like a dead drive to me.
December 18, 2011 3:21:50 PM

4745454b said:
Are you sure it was a display issue? Sounds like a dead drive to me.

Well it started when I postponed windows update from restarting my computer. Next thing I know lines appeared on the screen when running windows and when in the bios, which lead me to believe it was a display issue.
Eventually the screen has gone completely grey all the time and so I put it on my docking station where it did output an image (not properly but it was see able) i could see it loading windows so it appears the harddrive is functioning.. It got to the welcome screen and said please wait configuring updates before changing to failure to configure updates reverting back to old settings. It then gets to the press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to log on and I've got so far as to enter my password.. But then the computer crashes and seems to enter a continual boot loop (it won't go back to the windows screen) if I leave it for a while I can get to the logos screen but then have the same issue as before it just crashes.

Strange situation eh?
!