Windows 7 gaming Problem

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Whenever i play games on my new pc, Which is Windows 7 x64 bit it freezes after a couple seconds of executing it repeats the sounds coming from the game 5-7 times then the screen will go a grey colour and it will resume.

The games that I'm referring to in this is Halo CE and GTA San Andreas (Old games i know but classics)
I am running a XFX HD5750 1GB with DX11 on it, Could this be a problem?

Cheers

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 BE
RAM: OCZ DDR2 4GB 1066mhz Platinum
Graphics card: XFX ATI HD5750
PSU: Ocz stealthxstream 600w
HDDS: x2 Western Digital 500 GB Green Power Sata II

I don't know since i dont have any new games at the moment, And this build is only about a month and a half old.
And to answer your third question it is a Coolermaster Glite of somesort i cant find the name since the manual is somewhere around my room.

There are quite a few things that could be causing your problems. I would make sure that all of your updates are done (Windows/Mobo/GPU drivers/onboard chipset/etc.). This can be a pretty common issue with system stability. You could download PC Mark Vantage benchmark and see if you have the same issues. Link below:
http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/download/

I would also double check that you have everything plugged in on the motherboard correctly, especially the 6 pin PCI-e power connector on the GPU.

You can test your memory out with Memtest86:
http://www.memtest.org/

Does the system run fine during normal operations w/o gaming??

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Thank for the links ill download them shortly, And yes i downloaded the latest drivers for Chipset,Mobo,GPU Drivers and everything everything is plugged in properly including the 6 pin Power connector.

The ram seems to be fine but ill check it right away, And yes it seems to run Windows 7 with Aero enabled fine but thanks for bringing up the 6 pin connection PCI-e cause im thinking now that when the GPU starts using more power that its going to need more AMP's and i might need to connect the high AMP 12 V 6 Pin connector.

Thank you lunyone for your help.

I think that your PSU PCI-e power cable should be labeled, at least mine are on my PSU. That is the one that you should be using, if it isn't plugged in than that would explain your problem.

P.S. I'm glad that I can help. I'm not always the most informed, but I do try to help when/where I can :)

If you are running on board sound or a sound card and you're running an ati card you probable installed the ati sound drivers when you installed video drivers for you graphics card. Try uninstalling the drivers.....ati's sound and video. reboot and install graphics driver only........ custom or advanced install............ when the option for sound comes up say no.....

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Mine says "PCI E 1" then there is another one, but it is connected. I'm starting to rule out any power problems and see if it could be a DX11 or Windows 7 capability issue. I'm getting borderlands soon, So if it does turn out to be a hardware problem i'll probably just RMA the card.

Thanks once again though.

What is the "other" one connected too?? You should have 1 x 6 pin PCI-e and 1 x 6 + 2 pin (8 pin) PCI-e power connectors for your GPU needs. There is a 4 + 4 pin CPU connector too, but that should be plugged into the mobo by the CPU.

No that doesn't sound right. Where do you have the "4 + 2" connector plugged in?? I don't think there is a 4 + 2 socket on any motherboard that I know of. You should have the 20 + 4 (24 pin) and the 4 + 4 (8 pin) plugged into the mobo. The 4 + 4 pin should be plugged into the mobo near the CPU and the 20 + 4 pin only plugs into one spot on the mobo. The rest of the power connectors are for your GPU/HD/Optical parts.