joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I guess I've been off the market for a while, I had heard the flooding was doing some havoc on the hard drive industry; I was thinking of throwing in a new drive to set up a RAID, then I came across this:
Whoa.png

That has to be an error in pricing, but the regular prices aren't much better anyway. To think I spent $60 on a 640 GB Caviar Black less than a year ago is weird, and I'm kicking myself so hard for not getting two then for my RAID. It's practically cheaper to just get a SSD, obviously not the same storage, but I've seen an SSD or two drop below $1 per GB, and some of those hard disc drives (example not included) have hit almost $.6 per GB.

Has anyone heard how the recovery is doing? I hope that doesn't sound selfish; I know that actual livelihoods have been altered as a result of the flooding, and my concern over how expensive my drives have become is a first world problem.

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
So mine being almost double in price even when in volume is actually not as bad as both of your examples. I'm surprised manufacturers like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc can afford to sell their low-end lines with 320+GB HDDs for under $400 still. The drives are either already accounted for from before the floods, or they aren't making much profits; the drives themselves have to be at least a third of the manufacturing price of a new machine.