Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XFX 5770 Crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2009 11:47:00 PM

I just installed a new xfx 5770 card and it crashes on me about once a day. Twice I saw vertical lines after the crash and once the screen just went black. I have read that people seem to be having similar problems as mine. Has anyone found a fix yet? Is AMD/ATI aware of a problem?

More about : xfx 5770 crashing

December 29, 2009 11:51:22 PM

You can try to force 3D clocks (prevent 2D mode), or RMA the card.
December 29, 2009 11:56:57 PM

I read about that. How exactly do I force the idle clock speed higher?
Related resources
December 30, 2009 1:59:57 AM

Update:

I figured out how to increase the idle clock speed of the card. I upped the value from 157mhz to 200 mhz idle.

Does anyone know if this actually works and stops the crashing problems that myself and others are experiencing?
December 30, 2009 10:35:44 AM

bump
December 30, 2009 11:22:39 PM

i have the same problem, also with an xfx 5770

almost every crash has been in 2D mode (internet explorer) with the vertical lines.

i saw a black screen once when gaming...

i'm thinking it's a firmware/driver issue. I'd say give it another few catalyst updates before RMA-ing.
December 31, 2009 1:25:17 PM

Well, I haven't had a crash since two nights ago when I changed the idle clock speed to 200mhz. So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath here....
December 31, 2009 1:57:20 PM

CooLWoLF said:
Well, I haven't had a crash since two nights ago when I changed the idle clock speed to 200mhz. So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath here....

that sucks, part of the reason i got the hd5770 was for energy efficiency, i don't want to be increasing the clock for idle... for OC i understand, but for idle?

i hope they release drivers to fix this issue.
January 2, 2010 3:58:35 AM

Well, knew it was to good to last... Now I have crashes with vertical lines in 3d games.

This is ridiculous. ATI better be addressing this problem.
January 4, 2010 2:54:16 PM

my 5770 kept crashing after startup until I uninstalled CCC
January 4, 2010 3:56:21 PM

I read on the ATI Radeon forums that ATI support is aware of the issue and they are *supposedly* working on it. Again, I'm not holding my breath because this is not a new issue and has been persisting for awhile now.

As for my search for a fix, I found that underclocking the board's ram by 100mhz (1.2ghz to 1.1ghz) has caused stability to increase. After doing that, I had no vertical line crashes while playing games. Hopefully it stays that way. I will be getting ram sinks for the exposed chips on the back of my 5770.
January 8, 2010 12:16:03 AM

I got an xfx Radeon 5770 also and mine runs fine. Unfortunatly it crashes with in minutes of playing any game. The screen will go black sometimes and I have to force a restart, ive gotten the gray lines, and Ive also had it just restart. Hopefully Radeon can figure something out.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 12:17:27 AM

You are supposed to RMA the card, if it is at no cost to you.
January 8, 2010 3:28:23 PM

Well, I fixed my 3d vertical lines crashes *crossing fingers.* All I did was underclock the card's ram by 100mhz and have had zero 3d crashes since. Did this because the ram chips on the exposed part of the board were very hot. Will be getting ram sinks for them. I did this 3 days ago. And still stable under 2d conditions after overclocking the 2d values. The only annoying thing is CCC does not remember my new 3d memory clocks. I have to manually set them after each restart. Waiting on a new driver, perhaps it will fix the problems officially.
January 21, 2010 4:33:58 AM

Mine crashes constantly but I'm not tech saavy enough to mess with clock speeds and ramsinks etc.

Crashes in Crysis with settings from low to high, crashes in IE, crashes everywhere.

I don't want to RMA the card if it is just a driver issue that they will "eventually" fix but wtf am I supposed to do in the meantime?

January 24, 2010 10:32:22 PM

Well, after about 2 weeks of the card working upon doing some tweaks to the driver profile, the crashes are starting up again and becoming more frequent. I REALLY think this is NOT driver related and a batch of the cards are just plain, old defective. I started a support ticket with XFX and requested an RMA. Oh well.
February 16, 2010 9:37:07 PM

CooLWoLF said:
Well, after about 2 weeks of the card working upon doing some tweaks to the driver profile, the crashes are starting up again and becoming more frequent. I REALLY think this is NOT driver related and a batch of the cards are just plain, old defective. I started a support ticket with XFX and requested an RMA. Oh well.

I just got my RMA back. Unfortunately, another defective card. Even worse than the one I had.
Now it not only recover from driver issue, also create artifact even when I am not doing anything.
For the cost and time, I would just get a 5850 from another brand. :(  :sweat: 
February 20, 2010 8:14:12 PM

Try Ati GPU clock tool and manually set the clockspeeds. It should stop the artifacting
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2010 10:53:44 PM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
March 22, 2010 2:33:49 PM

I also got these problems. When mine crashes i only get vertical lines and usually they are green but sometimes i get blue or grey ones. the lines always look the same, they are just different colours. i have heard the card crashes when it gets too cool. the computer also gets slower right before the crash. this only happens when doing 2d applications like internet, word or powerpoint. About it crashing when it is cool. it tends to crash when the temp gets below 38-37 degrees celcius. i manually turned down the fan speed on my gpu to 20% and it will run really hot like 90 degrees when playing crysis but it dosen't ever crash in games. it has crashed only twice in games but they were not graphically intensive. i opened up gta san andreas and the second i loaded a savegame it crashed. i was opening the game to avert a crash to get the temp up so it would have crashed anyways. It also crashed in one of the older need for speed titles need for speed high stakes. I was just playing each need for speed for fun and since high stakes dosen't have much of those eye popping graphics, my graphics card cooled down and crashes. I never have a problem when playing cryisis, codmf 2, cod 4 and hl2. Now every time i turn on my pc i open crysis and keep it minimized, open the graphics card control panel and put the fan speed down since it dosen't save settings after restart and put on crysis on the pause menu for a minute. the card heats up to 60 degrees on low fan speed and gives you a while to do 2d stuff before you have to heat it up again. this is ridiculous that you have to do this just to get a card to run stable. ATI better fix this problem because it is so hard to do homework or watch you tube videos when it keeps crashing or you have to play crysis for a minute every 5 minutes to keep the temp up. this was the best card for the money so i can't afford a better one. nvidia cards are twice the price for the same performance.

My advice is to have a graphically intensive game minimized along with the ati control panel while you do 2d stuff. Put the fan speed to 20% and keep an eye on the temp. try to keep it above 50 degrees to give you a buffer to do stuff in.

Also wondering if there is a way to use the integrated card under 2d apps instead of the discrete. I am to the point where i will open up my case and unplug my card when i plan to do 2d stuff. i know this isnt good because the plug is only designened for 50 or so insertion/reinsertion cycles. This is the worst problem ever with a graphics card.

If anyone finds a driver fix, pls tell. otherwise this is all i do to keep from a crash.

PS: Like i mentioned before, your computer will get really slow before the crash. i have a 3.4 ghz quad core and it runs sluggishly and then i realize i need to keep an eye on the temp. when the control panel finally comes out of minimization i see the temp is at 37 degrees. the control panel also comes up very slowly and drags along the screen as if you have no video card. then the computer crashes. all the advice i could give.

Hope some one finds a fix.
July 11, 2010 2:47:06 PM

CooLWoLF said:
I just installed a new xfx 5770 card and it crashes on me about once a day. Twice I saw vertical lines after the crash and once the screen just went black. I have read that people seem to be having similar problems as mine. Has anyone found a fix yet? Is AMD/ATI aware of a problem?

I was having the same problem..so i did what i could updated all drivers and still was having problems,,at this point i was really fustrated and was wondering if i made a mistake buying ati since it was my first time having one...i also was getting the message from windows saying your drivers have stop responding but has recovered....well after all the tooling around trying to find an answer and getting no where i decided to update my motherboard bios and to my surprize no problems since it has been a little over a month...keeping my fingers crossed

mobo: gigabyte ma785gm-us2h

cpu: amd athlon II x4 620 quad core

mem: 4 gigs corsair

windows 7 ultimate
July 14, 2010 3:16:35 AM

I bought a Radeon HD 4650 XFX model w/ 1 gig ram and replaced a 5 year old 6600 GT w/ 256 ram and experienced a dramatic framerate loss. I went through the online support and while team was polite, I found them to be condescending, not respecting my experience, they suggested common knowledge and were downright flat on ideas to fix the problem. I would expect a team with as good a reputation as XFX to have original ideas and be willing to examine the situation from a unique point of view. I don`t believe there was a technical fault to the card mainly based on their confirmation that the 3dMark06 score being "more or less where it should be", I believe there was something wrong with the support, especially their unwillingness to examine any system info I provided. I tossed the card in the trash and re-installed the 6600 GT (and have been less frustrated) until I find a better card. Believe me, I will do more research this time. I would recommend to everyone to stay away from XFX
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 12:02:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!