NEED HELP: Gaming vs Workstation Image Quality

LAX91

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Okay, I have read a bunch of these forums now regarding the differences between workstation and graphics cards. I feel like there are opinions all across the board on what is okay for graphic design. I would really appreciate a straightforward answer to the questions below. I welcome and appreciate detail, but a specific conclusion to that detail would be very helpful. Any feedback is still appreciated.

I will not be doing any type of 3D graphics. I also am not a PC gamer. I will be doing graphic design using CS4 programs (mainly DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).

I know that CS4 Photoshop uses GPU and what I have gathered is that vector graphics production will benefit from a gaming card, especially for certain actions (e.g., resizing, zooming, scrolling).

That said, I want to have good image quality. I have a Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor. I also have a GeForce 9800 GTX+ graphics card.

In order to work with the programs I have mentioned, will this graphics card produce high quality images on the monitor that I have?

I am not a professional. I will upgrade if graphic design becomes a career because at that point money would not be an issue.

So, if I want to have good image quality (considering my monitor and the card I already have), will the card I already have do the trick? Or should I return it and get a similar priced workstation card such as an nVidia Quadro series card?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
the card u currently have is more than enough for graphic design

i use cs4 all the time and it was great on a radeon 3850

u r referring to open gl support for flick panning and zooming etc

your current card already does that and unless u are experiencing tearing when u flick around then you wont benefit at all from a better card

:)

whitewhale1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
the card u currently have is more than enough for graphic design

i use cs4 all the time and it was great on a radeon 3850

u r referring to open gl support for flick panning and zooming etc

your current card already does that and unless u are experiencing tearing when u flick around then you wont benefit at all from a better card

:)

Solution