Help needed Radeon HD 4870 and PSU Compatibility

G

ok here it goes... I have an Acer Aspire M5630 with the following specs:

Q6600 2.4GHZ CPU
500GB HD
3GB DDR2
X-FI SOUND CARD
BLUE RAY DRIVE
ASUS A-45GA 450W PSU (UPGRADED FROM THE ORIGINAL PSU)

I have just purchased a Radeon HD 4870 graphics card but it has two 6-pin pci connectors for power, the problem being is that my Asus psu only has one 6-pin pci connector! Now i have heard that i can buy an adaptor that connectors to my 4-pin drive connectors so that i can use these to power the other 6-pin pci connector, please see the image below for an example.

pcie%20pwr%20adapter.jpg

I really need to know if these are safe to use? I understand that the hd4870 requires 160w of power, a standard 6-pin pci connector will give the card 150w and the second connector is required to give it the extra 10w - this is what i understand from research only.

If anyone can shed some light on the matter it would be much appreciated

A minimum requirement for a single HD 4870 is 500W, but i heard the 450W of PSU can running this card. Yes, using 4 pin molex to 6pin connector, it will work, if u have enough amperes on it's rail... :)

G

Antecs psu calculator quotes me a minimum of 306 watts - And thats with my additional usb devices and card reader added. I do hope this psu will do the job, ive only just bought it!

G

Excuse for not knowing what your last post meant salyer - Call me stupid if you will, or at least a pain in the a** i really dont mind as long as someone can help :)

Heres the specs of the psu, im not 100% sure of which 12v i should be looking at? I just need to know if this psu will power my system as I really dont want to buy another psu as ive only just bought this one!

ACER ASPIRE M5630
Q6600 2.4GHZ CPU (Overclocked to 2.8ghz)
500GB HD
3GB DDR2 (3 sticks)
X-FI SOUND CARD
BLUE RAY DRIVE
RADEON HD4870
ASUS A-45GA 450W PSU (UPGRADED FROM THE ORIGINAL PSU)

I ask as I have only just bought the HD4870 and have not yet fitted it. The card requires two 6-pin pci power leads but my psu only has one, so I would have to use an adaptor as seen further down below, I also need to know if this is safe to use.

Untitledw.jpg

And the link below from the source:

http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Q6ENYFC6LFuZW9WY&templete=2

G

Thanks Salyer - I understand now, my only confusion is once I have plugged everything in using the psu connectors, how do I dedicate my 12v2 for my graphics card and 12v1 to everything else?