DVD drive won't recognize discs

anom217

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I just upgraded my motherboard/cpu and am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I was having some trouble booting up my SATA hard drive with Win 7 already installed, but I got it working after switching the SATA mode in bios from AHCI to IDE. Everything seems to be working except for my DVD drive. The drive (as listed under device manager) is TSST corp CD\DVDW SH-S183L ATA Device.

The drive is recognized by the OS, and says the device is working properly and drivers are up to date, but it never recognizes when I put any DVD/CD in. I saw someone had the same problem, and solved it by switching the SATA controller mode in bios back to IDE. I have tried that, but to no avail. I'm really not sure what's wrong with it? Can anyone help me out please?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You can't use a previously installed Win 7 on that amount of new hardware. Such an upgrade requires a fresh install. If you don't then you will experience all sorts of problems. When Win 7 is installed (like XP and Vista) it configures itself at a driver level for a particular configuration of hardware. Once it has done that it generates specific code that is married to the product key on activation. These reasons alone are a good reason to implement a fresh install. You can get away with changing a GPU or adding or removing HDD's but not a motherboard and CPU.

anom217

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Well, I am typing this from my Win 7 OS right now, and it appears to be working fine. After booting up Win 7 detected and installed a lot of new drivers. I haven't activated Win 7 yet, as it is still within the 30 day pre-activation allowance period. And there are methods to dissociate the OS from all the security tags and drivers when moving to a new mobo.

But does anyone know what the problem is with the DVD drive?

anom217

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

I just tried booting to it from bios (used clonezilla disc) and I heard a repeating spinning noise, but it failed to boot the disc. The screen was black for about 20 seconds, then went to to boot Win 7 from the hard drive.

The drive was working fine before I installed the new motherboard and cpu. Never had a problem with it. Then a few hours later, it's suddenly not working on the new hardware. I doubt the drive "broke" during this time period, seems like it has to do with the upgrade but I'm not sure what exactly is the issue. I'd like to investigate further before simply buying a new drive.

anom217

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

Do I need to install the motherboard drivers? For example, I can access the internet and everything fine, do I need to install the ethernet driver? Or the chipset driver? I haven't installed any of them that came with the disc, and I just want to make sure I don't download and install an unnecessary update and break things.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You wont break anything. If you check under the optional section of windows update you will likely find that there are updated drivers there. I normally install these especially the Ethernet driver as the original drivers often don't run well in Win 7.

anom217

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

So will Windows 7 have driver updates for most of the drivers I would otherwise get off the motherboard disc/site? Such as the chipset driver?