Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana overclocking issues

Last response: in Overclocking
July 25, 2012 6:23:39 AM

i've had my athlon for about 2 months and it's running great ! but before i was able to get windows 7 i used Asrocks bios to unlock the 4 core. which it did and showed to me as a phenom b55. but since my setups been working it doesn't seem to boot fully for me to even see my desktop people ahve told me that it's defective.
but i think it's because of my cooling maybe, because idle my cpu is 49 c* which is bad and im going to buy a new cooler. and its usually 54 when im playing games and stuff. but maybe it doesn't unlock because it just over heats and freezes/shutsdown ? could that be the problem ? please help.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2012 12:00:38 PM

I had a 455 that would only work with the 4th core in 32-bit OS. Once I upgraded to 64-bit, I couldn't boot with the 4th core unlocked.

It's probably why it was disabled at the factory.
m
l
July 26, 2012 3:00:05 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I had a 455 that would only work with the 4th core in 32-bit OS. Once I upgraded to 64-bit, I couldn't boot with the 4th core unlocked.

It's probably why it was disabled at the factory.

so what do you recommend that i do ? is there a way to go to 32 bit ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2012 3:10:48 AM

There is a 32-bit version of 7, but I don't think it's worth it to go 32 bit.

I would just OC the three good cores if I could.

m
l
July 27, 2012 12:36:04 AM

Z1NONLY said:
There is a 32-bit version of 7, but I don't think it's worth it to go 32 bit.

I would just OC the three good cores if I could.

ahh dangit, it wouldn't do use my ram fully any way ( 8 gigs ). Actually I don't really know what are the best voltages and all that with my 3 cores. I have an Asrock 970 extreme3 mobo that comes with a AXTU Extreme overclocking utility and when i need a performance boost all i do is raise the CPU frequency, PCIE frequency for my graphics and north bridge CPU. what do you suggest i set them to when i'm needing a boost in speed ?
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:55:09 AM

no not at all ? it said so on the think lololol and my case is a mistake but im working with it its a Logisys Cs308 ( bought my own diaboltek 550w psu)
m
l
July 27, 2012 11:00:51 AM

Hi this is my first post thought I'd pitch in, I have a rana athlon X3 435 and successfully unlocked the fourth core and been using it in the windows 7 64 bit environ from the time I have bought it. just use the ucc in the bios not the overclocking bios in the OS as it will get it unstable and I have a asrock mobo 890gx extreme 3 too and the cooler is however a hyper tx3 and the only thing I would recommend is getting a better cooler first like the others have suggested. Like maybe a noctua NH d-14
m
l
July 27, 2012 7:52:45 PM

well any way. i'd like to know since i just declined my shipment and got my money back which cooler should i buy for my cpu and what voltages should i set it to for maximum performance out of the 3 cores i may have.
m
l
July 28, 2012 1:59:14 AM

i'd go for a 50 dollar one or 40$ . but if there is one with great performance for cheaper than i'll buy it
m
l
July 30, 2012 2:30:39 AM

a Logisys CS308 i have also been trying to look for a forum covering it but nothing comes up because i cannot remove the front panel
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:18:30 PM

my set up is
MSI N610GT-MD2GD3/LP gpu
Asrock 970 extreme3 mobo
Athlon x3 455
8 gig vengeance DDR3
Diaboltek 550 PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
i too think i should be upgrading my cpu and my case because i've only recently gotten into computers about 6 months ago and since i was ofcourse anxious to get everything quickly i settled for a case that was uglier than i thought after extensive research after buying it and also my athlon 3 i though would be able to clock to its 4th core when i needed it to, for me to be able to play games. and please feel free to point out the wrong wrongs about this setup because i'm still a beginner in all of this my system is stable with my cpu at 40 c
m
l
July 30, 2012 9:16:15 PM

lmfao but seriously how can i optimize my cpu for top performance without the 4th core. (when i get the cpu cooler you advised me to purchase above. and also i think i do need to get a better case but that will come in time :3
m
l
August 1, 2012 2:44:58 AM

yeah now im thinking about selling it lmfao wow. and yeah i'll try but i just dont want to burn it xD
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:27:34 AM

PLEASE SINCE YOUR AN EXPERT PLEASE HELP ME I JUST THINK I SORT CIRCUITED MY MOBO. i dont know what to do no i have to use the gameroom weak computer and mine just keeps saying no input and now i did research and it said not to put metal underneath your mobo. WELL I DID cause i couldn't mount it with my stupid case ! im so stupid oh god. i don't even know what to do cause honestly i really dont wanna spen money on another mobo
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:26:48 AM

well i guess i fixed it now. i was using some of those thingy screws that have a hole in it into my case and then i set my motherboard ontop of it so that it could mount. next thing i knew after all was well because before the srews where always too short due to there being no stand up thingys to do so easily. so yeah. basically it wasn't working after i turned it on after it was standing straight up and i new i had a big problem. i though it was the graphics cause the screen was no input and i was like " IM FUCKED. " and also i sat here for like an hour on the computer finally to learn that i cannot use metal underneath the mobo. so i was like wow well looks like i gotta buy a new one. next thing i know im over here taking it apart and try it without the screws and it worked THANK YOU MOBO GOD.
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:35:44 AM

yeah those things ?
how am i supposed to mount my motherboard correctly without it ... you know
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:33:07 AM

ohh... well.... the more i know xD so like then what could've been the problem when it said no input ?
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:04:23 AM

be more specific. i set down the standoffs like i was supposed too and i set the accordingly with nothing off. every screw was in and nothing was unplugged. what was the problem so that i can fix it later ? because i know for a fact i didn't do anything wrong
m
l
!