frenkinstein

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hey guys, im building a new compu currently with an intel i5-3570k ivy bridge CPU. im using a cooler master hyper 212 evo as its heat sink, and i've heard that a push/pull setup can help it run cooler. so my question is, if i have the hyper 212 as the heat sink, would it be advantageous to add either the fan that comes on the stock heatsink or an extra 120mm case fan onto my 212 in a push pull setup? and if it is, since theyre different speeds, which should go on which side?

thanks!

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
add the fan of the stock heatsink? i don't get that part... stock heatsink your ivy bridge processor? you need an identical 120mm fan for a push/pull configuration. different rpms might cause inefficiency so better get identical fans or have the same rpms at least.

frenkinstein

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
by adding the fan of the stock heat sink i mean taking the fan off of the stock heatsink that comes with the processor, and latching it onto the other side of my coolermaster 212 evo as the second fan. i know it is recommended to have 2 of the same fan, but i am at my budget limit for this comp. basically, im asking if, while i know its not optimal, is it worth adding on a second, different fan?

WaywardX

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Having two fans of different speeds may cause actual problems, just run one until you can get 2 identical fans on it. the Hyper 212 is a great cooler, even with just one fan running on it.