Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I received my CPU today from Newegg and it wasn't a fake one

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 5:16:14 PM

Is there anyone else affected or not affected by the counterfeit CPUs?
March 9, 2010 7:11:13 PM

never heard of a conterfiet cpu... got one from the egg back in late december and it seems to work fine....... def not fake
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 8:25:12 PM

It just happened this month and I haven't heard of it happening before, not to the extent of the fakes reaching Newegg and being shipped to customers. About 12 years ago was the last time I heard of it and Intel put out a utility to determine if you had a fake processor because some them worked!!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 9:08:35 PM

there was just a mix up at newegg, some demo boxes managed to get shipped somehow, the entire fiasco has been cleared up by either rush delivery of the working version or full refund
m
l

Best solution

March 9, 2010 9:11:39 PM

No...
One of Newegg's suppliers sent the fake CPUs. Newegg has since stopped doing business with that particular supplier. These were not demo boxes, they were full blown forgeries.
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 10:17:34 PM

I'm sure the chances of it happening again just got that much smaller. All along the supply chain will be more quality checks. The thieves got away with hundreds of i7s. There are some underservingly happy benchmarkers and power users who got the five finger discount on the real CPUs. Wonder if there's a way to tack them down" Are they like marked bills you give to the bank robber? No unique ID's?
m
l
March 9, 2010 10:48:20 PM

Each CPU should have a serial number, problem is I dont know if that can be checked via software or if you would have to physically inspect the chip.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2010 11:49:12 PM

I think only a few hundred of the CPUs were fake. Newegg ships out thousands of CPUs a day.

There's really not much of a concern...the entire thing is overblown.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
March 10, 2010 3:08:31 AM

B-Unit said:
Each CPU should have a serial number, problem is I dont know if that can be checked via software or if you would have to physically inspect the chip.

I am pretty sure each CPU has a serial number encoded into it.

I saw a video of the fake i7s and I can tell you that from the box alone it looks fake. The fan looked to be made out of rubber or foam and so did the CPU.

Sad to see people trying to rip PC people off.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 3:18:33 PM

Best answer selected by HundredIslandsBoy.
m
l
!