Solved

New Radeon 5870 Underperforming :/

Okay I just installed my new ATI Radeon HD 5870 which left my wallet feeling a lot lighter.
Overall I'm very satisfied with it but I'm a little concerned the rest of my computer is bottlenecking it.
I only get about 100fps max in TF2 and it regularly dips down to 60fps.

Is that to be expected with the following specs / what's the most valuable upgrade I can make to get more out of the card.

PCI Express 1.1 (x16)
Intel Q6600 (2.4ghz) Stock cooling
26" Screen w/ 1920x1200 res
6gb (2x2 + 2x1) DDR2 333.3MHz ram

I upgraded to a 650watt power supply which is plenty.
I don't have any other cards installed, and the only other things drawing power are the optical drive, mobo, and hard drive.

Tell me if you need any more info, thanks.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 5870 underperforming
  1. You need to OC your Q6600 to 3 GHZ and above.
  2. leon2006 said:
    You need to OC your Q6600 to 3 GHZ and above.

Agreed, even a overclock to 3.5Ghz may not fully unleash your card, but get it as close to that as possible, and DEFINATELY somewhere near 3.0
  3. dawnofdigital said:
    Okay I just installed my new ATI Radeon HD 5870 which left my wallet feeling a lot lighter.
    Overall I'm very satisfied with it but I'm a little concerned the rest of my computer is bottlenecking it.
    I only get about 100fps max in TF2 and it regularly dips down to 60fps.

Is that to be expected with the following specs / what's the most valuable upgrade I can make to get more out of the card.

PCI Express 1.1 (x16)
    Intel Q6600 (2.4ghz) Stock cooling
    26" Screen w/ 1920x1200 res

I upgraded to a 650watt power supply which is plenty.
    I don't have any other cards installed, and the only other things drawing power are the optical drive, mobo, and hard drive.

Tell me if you need any more info, thanks.

Did I read well ?

get some faster memory and overclock your cpu :)
  4. Yes that is the correct number for the ram frequency. I thought that might be the major issue. Does everyone agree?

p.s. I accidentally posted twice, is there a way to delete my other post?
  5. 1+ to abswindows 7 alittle overclock would help quite a bit, but your ram my be putt a pretty significant bottleneck on your system. 333mhz is pretty slow in todays standards i would try to shoot for at least 800mhz ddr2 get a 2x2gB ddr 2 which i just looked on newegg and the cheapest set was 77 dollars. but if you boards supports ddr 3 then you might want to go with ddr 3 because the cheapest 2x2gB kit is the same price and 1066
  6. Best answer
    dawnofdigital said:
    Yes that is the correct number for the ram frequency. I thought that might be the major issue. Does everyone agree?

p.s. I accidentally posted twice, is there a way to delete my other post?

Get some ddr2 800 mhz or 1066mhz and try to get an after market heatsink ( pay under 50$) and you should get a 3.3ghz q6600 that should handle fine enough your beast :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics