AMD Phenom II X4 Core MOBO

Solution
You'll want a AM2+ motherboard then, but to be honest you're just wasting your money.

You can get good AM3 boards for the same price as AM2+ boards and DDR2 isn't going to be in production for too much longer so prices will shoot up if you want to change your RAM down the line (DDR2 is already a bit more expensive than DDR3).

Honestly I'd get a AM3 board like the Asus M4A785TD-V Evo and a good solid 4GB DDR3 kit to go with that Phenom II.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You'll want a AM2+ motherboard then, but to be honest you're just wasting your money.

You can get good AM3 boards for the same price as AM2+ boards and DDR2 isn't going to be in production for too much longer so prices will shoot up if you want to change your RAM down the line (DDR2 is already a bit more expensive than DDR3).

Honestly I'd get a AM3 board like the Asus M4A785TD-V Evo and a good solid 4GB DDR3 kit to go with that Phenom II.

Solution

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

Well he does say "I also would like the board to be able to use my DDR2 ram"... To me that means that he's already got a sufficient amount of DDR2 that he's transferring from a prior build.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
^^
which is what I thought too, but it doesn't mean to say that the OP's not going to want to add more or get something more overclockable in the future.

I will always praise AMD for having backwardly-compatible processors as it does save some cash in upgrading systems, but in some case I think you should just go for a whole new build.

If the OP already had a AM2+ motherboard and was just looking for a CPU upgrade then that's fine. In this case though the OP is buying a new board in order to use the new CPU, so to intentionally buy into an obsolete socket that won't allow the processor to run at full performance just to save $50 on RAM seems a little silly.

Just my opinion.