Solved

Ram timings

I recently had a stick of memory go bad. I have a DDR2 system. It is about three years old and the memory I had was Corsair XMS2. The timings were 5-5-5-12. I had 4x1gb. I still have two that are fine but the problem I'm running into is that they discontinued the specific ram I bought, and all of the ram I am finding are in different timings. Do I need to keep timings all the same or would it hurt to have two 1gb slots running at 5-5-5-12 and then have two others with a different timing?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about timings
  1. Best answer
    The MOBO will only run all of the RAM modules at the same timings (there is no way to set the separate modules to different timings) - so you will want to get a new set that is 5-5-5-12 or better ratings and uses the same voltage - A better rated module will be able to run at the looser timings but a poorer rated module may\may not be able to run at the tighter timing.
  2. You want to keep the timings, voltage and Mhz all the same. I would not recommend mixing timings for your memory... you are just asking for Random BSOD. I would recommend 1) getting new DDR2 memory at 2X2GB or 2) run with 3GB of RAM. Unless you are running a 64-bit operating system, you will not be using all 4GB of RAM any ways, so you won't be hurt by going with 3GB's.
  3. A little more info. I am running Vista 64. It seems that my ram was a bit of an oddball maybe. I did find another 5-5-5-12 stick but it was a different voltage. I think to be honest. All I currently want is 4GB of ram. Think I will just ditch the current stuff I have and get a 2x2gb like you guys said. I've had problems with my XMS2's. Had to RMA at least one when I was building this thing. Then no telling how long this one has been bad. I know it has been bad for a while because when I took out 2gb and noticed a speed increase =p. I'll just get 2x2 I think and later I can get another 2x2 if I feel the need.
  4. Best answer selected by tyb.
  5. Just make sure your motherboard will support 2G ram per slot before you buy it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM