_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
i bought new system, installed old hard drives and new i7 930 6gb corsair mem. everything boots up i see asus screen in bios it finds all hird drives but in some reason can't boot from them, saying in booting screen that can't detect hard drives so what i have to do?

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you done a fresh install of the OS or trying to use it from the old hard drives?

Using the OS on an old hard drive will most likely cause the system not to boot probably since it can't recongize the older system. You need to boot from your DVD drive and reinstall your OS. YOu can hit 'Del' to get into the BIOS to adjust the boot order or hit F8 (I believe is the correct key or the key showing Boot Sequence on load up) and select to boot from your DVD drive. After you install your OS, you should be good to go...

I would make sure your old hard drives are backed up, if there is any data you don't want to lose.

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes, it is an option to try. If it works, 1) boot into safe mode with Driver Sweeper installed and remove all old drivers from the old setup before installing the new drivers. & 2) just monitor your system for random BSOD, which could point the install from the OS had issues. At this point, I would recommend a complete reinstall.

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Did u by any chance have a Phenom II 940 BE before u switched to the i7 930 ? (stated in your signature) Cause if u did, it is HIGHLY recommended that u DO install a fresh OS or will encounter a LOT of problems ! Switching from AMD to intel is a big deal and u need fresh drivers !

blink180heights

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
oh yea and did i mention the problem was the crappy asus software that i installed and tried to over clock with, that was interfering with me trying to over clock with the bios so once i pressed f8 and logged in i uninstalled that garbage ... restarted and it was fine :)