Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will my PSU be ok for a Geforce 295

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 30, 2009 4:17:27 AM

Hi all.have been a reader of stuff in this community for quite some time and am wondering if you guys could tell me if my current PSU will be ok if i buy a new 295.below are the specs for my PSU and it looks like i am gonna be out of look as a 295 requires 1 x 8 pin PCIE and 1 x 6 pin PCIE adaptors.as i am reading this it looks like it only has 2 x 6 pin.will i require a new PSU or is there any way around this.full specs below.thanks in advance for reading.

Tagan 800 Watt U26 Series (I-Xeye II)

• Compatible with Intel EPS12V Version 2.9 and EPS/ATX downward versions with independent +12V rails.
• Blue LED light is suitable for gamers various system integration.
• Independent +12V rails provide individual electricity to different devices and avoid heavy-loading devices share power in the same time.
• Universal main board support due to 20+4 pin main power as well as 4-pin & 8-pin +12V power connectors for 20, 20+4,24+4, and 24+8 configurations.
• 80% electricity efficiency average saves money and reduces losing power become heat.
• Two 6-pin PCI Express connectors support NVIDIA SLI technologies, and ATI Crossfire graphic cards.
• PCI-Express 6PIN cables with REMI technology reduce EMI ripples and noises to save device lifetime and enhance display performance.
• Support high-end main board with VGA 4pin socket for graphic card electricity.
• Combo-S2M (SATA to IDE) connectors empowering all types of hard drives and easy management between SATA and IDE devices.
• Three Molex 4PIN and four SATA 5PIN with Combo-S2M connectors make total seven Molex 4PIN connectors available.
• Total 13+1* IDE and SATA hard disks are available for top users. (*VGA 4Pin)
• TSCT (Tagan Silence Control Technology) keeps under 30dBA even full-loading and hard to recognize by human ear.
• Automatic +12V rails combine mode can integrate rails into single rail with more DC output.
• Dual 8cm push-pull extreme high speed fans are the best cooling system and keep silence.
• Thermal control fans are adjustable automatically by temperature inside of the power supply. Fan speed up when temperature rises.
• Super-big heat sink inside the power release heat in optimum efficiency.
• Black mesh and copper-shielding cables help user to optimize airflow for thermal release.
• Internal OVP (Over Voltage Protection) and OCP (Over Current Protection) function avoids sudden power surge damage peripherals.
• Universal AC input range for all countries: 110~240VAC with active PFC for better electricity performance.
• Unique ground wire with golden pin can release static electricity from power supply and avoid damage.
• Including cable bands for cable management.
• Guarantee 36 months warranty.

More about : psu geforce 295

a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 5:01:35 AM

look the the back/side of the psu, and tell me how many amps are there on the +12 outputs ... all the other info u have given is not important ...
December 30, 2009 5:06:02 AM

thanks for the quick reply.i am at work at the moment as i am in the UK,but i will take a look when i get home then post the info for you.once again thanks for the quick reply,much appreciated.
Related resources
December 30, 2009 5:55:48 AM

cyberkuberiah said:
look the the back/side of the psu, and tell me how many amps are there on the +12 outputs ... all the other info u have given is not important ...

Hi again.i got my gf to take a look for me and this is what it said on the side of the PSU about the +12 outputs +12V1: 20A • +12V2: 20A • +12V3: 20A • +12V4: 20A • -12V: 0.8A
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 11:59:03 AM

ok , i checked it out ... the +12v v3 and v4 will give you a pcie 6 pin connector each ... now as per the specification , if they work in combined mode , they can easily power the gtx 295 ...

but wait , have you already bought the 295 ? if not then tell me ur budget limit , motherboard model , cpu and i can suggest something even nicer ... basically something from the ati 5800 series .
December 31, 2009 6:11:11 AM

cyberkuberiah said:
ok , i checked it out ... the +12v v3 and v4 will give you a pcie 6 pin connector each ... now as per the specification , if they work in combined mode , they can easily power the gtx 295 ...

but wait , have you already bought the 295 ? if not then tell me ur budget limit , motherboard model , cpu and i can suggest something even nicer ... basically something from the ati 5800 series .
thanks again for your help.i haven't purchased the 295 yet and the one i was offered was 250 GB pound as it was used.so my budget would be no more than that.my motherboard is an asus p5q pro and my processor is a e6600 which i am running at 3.0ghz overclocked but i can overclock it a bit more stable if needed.a few people have recommended one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX... but i am open to any other suggestions you may have.thanks once again for your help and a happy new year to you and yours.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 7:26:15 AM

your motherboard supports Crossfire , so i would suggest getting the new lower power dx11 card . (5850 = 150w max , 295 = at least double than that) . what resolution are you playing at ? after 6 months or even more , add another 5850 , its price would be close to 220 GB at that time easily . this setup will still consume less power , and is faster than 285 SLI , and much faster than 295 .. it will last long due to dx11 ... as an alert , i am sure that sli (295 = 275 sli onboard) needs more cpu power than CF ... tom's did a balanced system series from where i got this info ... 5850 cf in the future would be fine . overclock your cpu a bit .

and your 20 amp rails each would be fine with 5850's on each , no need to worry about "combined" mode's actual performance ... because tagan's later models , u33 series have a manual switch to do this , i am not that sure about automatic combine of u26 ... and merry christmas and happy new year to u and ur friends and family from Gurgaon , india !

tell me ur resolution , i too have a 5850 , i can tell u about its performance on various games at that resolution then ...
December 31, 2009 10:35:12 AM

cyberkuberiah said:
your motherboard supports Crossfire , so i would suggest getting the new lower power dx11 card . (5850 = 150w max , 295 = at least double than that) . what resolution are you playing at ? after 6 months or even more , add another 5850 , its price would be close to 220 GB at that time easily . this setup will still consume less power , and is faster than 285 SLI , and much faster than 295 .. it will last long due to dx11 ... as an alert , i am sure that sli (295 = 275 sli onboard) needs more cpu power than CF ... tom's did a balanced system series from where i got this info ... 5850 cf in the future would be fine . overclock your cpu a bit .

and your 20 amp rails each would be fine with 5850's on each , no need to worry about "combined" mode's actual performance ... because tagan's later models , u33 series have a manual switch to do this , i am not that sure about automatic combine of u26 ... and merry christmas and happy new year to u and ur friends and family from Gurgaon , india !

tell me ur resolution , i too have a 5850 , i can tell u about its performance on various games at that resolution then ...
Hi again mate.i am running a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 and have mostly been playing Modern Warfare to and will be getting Battlefield Bad Company 2 when released.one thing that would concern me and i am not sure just how much of a problem it would be at my native resolution is that my motherboard is not 2 x 16x PCIE it is 1 x 16 and 1 x 8.i have heard this can cause problems when in crossfire at higher resolutions.
!