How to setup SSD and HDD?

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I'm getting ready to put my new computer together one day this week and I'm curious to see how you guys have your SSD setup with an HDD. I'm going to be using a Crucial M4 128gb for my win7 installation, programs, and a couple of games I play most often. I want to use the HDD for storing all my files (My Documents, My Music, My Videos, etc.), the rest of my games, and whatever else.
What is the easiest way to get everything to work properly? If I have Steam installed on my SSD is it possible to have 1-2 games on the SSD and the rest of them on the HDD? And can the Recycle bin be moved to the SSD as well?

Here's the rest of my specs if it helps:

MOBO- Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU- Intel Core i5 2500K
HDD- 1tb Western Digital Caviar Black
SSD- 128gb Crucial M4
RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb DDR3 1600
PSU- 700w Cooler Master Silent Pro M
DVD drive- Samsung SATA 22x
GPU- AMD Radeon 6950 2gb Dirt 3 edition
OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I just want everything to go as smoothly as possible when I put everything together and not have to spend hours tweaking things. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Let me know if there's any questions. Thanks!

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
My understanding is its best to NOT install everything on the SSD.
I partitioned my SSD in 2. One for OS and the other for GPU drivers, virus and game.

All my other data docs, pics, movies are redirected to the HDD by changing the locations of the user folder.
There i have 4 partitions.
1.programs/software/itunes/files/windows backup

I changed the directory for the library folders to the HDD.

Go to the SSD forum and read the articles about optimizing your SSD and Windows

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part

anherox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I actually figured it all out myself just messing with things. I moved the my documents, music, videos, etc. to the HDD and i found a program called steam mover that allows you to install steam on your SSD and move selected games to a folder on your HDD. The games can still be launched from steam on the SSD

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Im trying to do the same with SDD and HDD. Did you have to re-download all the games?