Long Repeated Beeps on Gigabyte Mobo

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey Guys-

I just recently (a month or 2 ago) built a new computer, using the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 motherboard as the base.
In the past few days, the computer got laggy after gaming for a bit, yet it still seemed to function, and the graphics card was not overheating. Last night, I turned on the computer, and it started up fine, but was doing things very slowly. Then, all of the sudden, it just crashed, the whole computer shut off, and the motherboard started beeping - long, repeated beeps.
Now whenever I turn it on, it beeps long beeps 12 times, and then you hear the gfx card fan rev up a bit, but then it just starts beeping again.
I have swapped out the graphics card with another that I know functions, and I still have the exact same symptoms. I tested the memory by taking out one stick at a time and trying it, but same problem any way I do it.

So it doesn't seem to be the Graphics card or the memory.

I looked at the user manual for the motherboard, and it says that continuous long beeps indicate that the graphics card is not inserted properly. This doesn't make sense, because I tried 2 different cards, and made sure both were inserted firmly.

It also is interesting that this happened after the computer had been functioning perfectly for a long time - there were absolutely no hardware changes.

System specs: Gigabyte 890FX-UD5, HIS HD 5770, 4GB G.skill Ripjaws, AMD Phenom II x4 955, Samsung Spinpoint F3, Corsair 650W

Any ideas?

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Reset the CMOS, started it back up, and this time all the fans go full speed, but the beeping continues.
Earlier this afternoon, I tried unplugging absolutely everything - drives, graphics card, ram. Still exact same problem.
I have another 500W Antect PSU that I will plug in and see if that is the problem.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Tried it in another outlet. No difference.
I don't think I can boot Memtest because I don't get any display at all. It just goes straight to beeping when I start it up.

I doubt it's the RAM, because I have 2 sticks in there, and I swapped them around, testing each individually. It wouldn't make sense that they would both fail at the exact same time.
Also, I even tried powering on the comp without any RAM sticks in, and it made the exact same beeps.

I really hope it's not the motherboard, but that's what it's leaning towards.

Yep, so it seems to be the MOBO.

I'm dealing with RMA'ing 10 PCs for my office, 60% w/i <5 days started acting up w/RAID {bad SN batch of UD3R (rev 2)}. Unfortunately, problems weren't immediate so hours were wasted. MOBOs can go bad from 1st start-up -> 1 Month +.

I feel for you!

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Tried the other PCI-e slot - same thing. Even tried starting it without a gfx card in, and it did the same thing.

What if I short circuited my motherboard? How would I tell what part was doing that or where it was touching metal?

If you've got a short, it usually won't beep. That would usually cause a continual reboot loop, or it to just shut down after a couple seconds.

Try removing the motherboard from the case. Place it on a piece of cardboard next to it. Connect the PSU, CPU/HSF, video card, power switch, and 1 RAM chip. Everythign else can be unplugged. Then try starting it.

Not likely, because it was working before. As long as the mounting wasn't changed, it shouldn't be causing a short.

The method I suggested is called bread boarding. When you've got hardware failing to POST, it's a good place to start, to narrow down the culprit. The components listed, for the most part, are the bare necesities to POST. All the other components can be unpluged to rule them out as a cause.

@aford10 - "mounting issue" a/k/a short; unplugging everything will do same. [frpsh] R/O all but CPU or MOBO ; shorting happens @1st post.

If you OC your CPU and went out of your way to turn-off all the BIOS protection then maybe the CPU. If you want to know 100% swapping out a CPU will answer...{check the PINS} My guess is that you blew-out someting on the MOBO ; take a CAREFUL look.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I already tested with another graphics card that I know for sure works. No difference.

I did no overclocking on any of the parts yet, so I guess it's unlikely to be the CPU. I don't have another AMD processor to try.

One thing, my brother confessed to me (lol) that he accidentally bumped the case the day before it started messing up. Sounds sketchy, but he says that he didn't bump it that hard. It seems weird that a little bump would do something like this - especially since I have plugged and re-plugged everything in many times.

So......
sounds like it's the motherboard. Should I go to Newegg and see about a refund or replacement? It's past the 30 day deadline, but I've only been using the computer for under 2 months, and the board should definitely not be dying on me this quickly.

First, try reseating the CPU.

Check your newegg account. There is a section that lists hardware that is still covered by RMA. If it's not covered by newegg, the manufacturer's warranty should still cover your hardware. The motherboard is more likely to die than the CPU, so I'd start there.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
So I talked with Newegg, they said no, so I turned to Gigabyte.
Called them, they told me to use the web form to apply for an RMA. Got the RMA number, packaged it up, and sent it in.
Just waiting to get a replacement back. Annoying thing is, I can't see any way to track or get updates on how my RMA is doing, even though they gave me a number.
I really hope I get one back soon, because I need my computer for a LAN party in a couple of weeks. :)
I'll let y'all know what happens when I receive the motherboard back.

FrPSh

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Okay, very annoyed. Received the mobo back yesterday - no difference at all. Exact same motherboard, packaged differently, no changes. I spent all day yesterday again trying everything I did before, and I can get nothing but beeps.
It's absolutely not the the GFX card, because I tried it in a different pc.
It's absolutely not the PSU, because I also tried this in another similar pc.
I highly doubt it's the cpu - no signs of damage; I cleaned and reapplied thermal paste.
Tried all 16 configurations of the RAM to no avail.

It seems weird that they would not even test the board and just send it back. If they tested it and found no problems, what part that I have could possibly be making it fail???

Only thing I notice that you might want to try is :

*To reach DDR3 1866MHz or above, you must install two memory modules and install them in the DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 memory sockets.

Are you using the Ram slots marked as DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 and not DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 ??

Other than that do you have an old PCI (not PCI-e) video card you could try posting with tho see if it is the MOBO's PCI-e interface ?

TRENDING THREADS