Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64x having problems with graphics cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2009 6:25:26 AM

Hey everyone. First off, I am running:

INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit OEM

MEM 2Gx6|CORSAIR = 12GB RAM

MB GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 RTL

ASUS EAH5870 DDR5 Graphics Card

Gateway FHD2400 Monitor

Kingwin Mach 1 1220w ATX Modular Power Supply

4x 1.5TB SEAGATE HDD

2x 2TB HITACHI HDD

This is a newly built machine, and I can't seem to get decent graphics on my monitor! I know the monitor has different mixed reviews, but I've used it for a while on my last SONY VAIO desktop and never had this problem. The problem is that i don't think the graphics card is actually being used. I've installed the driver, but the issue is obvious when looking at gradients of color and shading (like the blue background of the windows login) its more layered than blended. I installed the game crysis, but only can play it on low video settings, and only then do i get about 24 FPS. When I bring it up to high settings, the quality looks great but only get 6 FPS, which is unplayable. I feel like I am missing something....

One other thing. I originally bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB video card, but had the same problem, then while scanning and trying the benchmarking tests, it was super low. Then it said there was a problem with the card, and I bought the one Im using now.

Other problems im having are:

when i plug in my firewire the computer shuts down....

when the computer restarts from a freeze im not able to choose safe mode...

it is very heavy....

anyways, my question is, what could this be, and do these problems add up to something? My tech guy thinks maybe its a bad MB, but would love to get this freaking thing in gear without having to change the whole MB out...I just want this thing workin right!! Any thoughts? I am a video editor and have lots of work to do and hate wasting time on changing and replacing expensive parts just to get it to begin to work.

Kevin Cease
December 30, 2009 3:51:39 PM

Go to the overclocking section and run some of the tools listed there and see how you compare - performance wise.

Second, that processor needs to be running at 3.3G or more to get good performance in Crysis. Its a combination of graphics AND CPU to get high scores in Crysis. 2.6 isnt enough. The layered blending may be a function of the app - get a jpg or tiff image and look at that for gradient smoothing.

Is your video card configured correctly? Use CCC to set it up for 32 bit color.

Do you have that 5870 card in the right slot - I saw one person plug it into the x4 PCIe slot (but it still worked).

Is the firewire part of the motherboard or an add-in card (I have both with no issues).

Get a new tech guy...
m
l
December 31, 2009 2:19:26 AM

"layered blending may be a function of the app"

what app? The problem in color blending is everywhere, when I log into windows, when I look at a Jpeg, etc. It looks like a GIF that needs dithering.

Firewire is part of the motherboard.

Checked in CCC and turned everything to full quality. Still see no changes in anything.
also, how do I check if it's in the right slot?

no fun.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2009 2:40:07 AM

not seeing an overclocking section other than topics and news....
m
l
December 31, 2009 5:38:42 AM

also on start up today the MB seemed to flash a bunch of random code for about 20 sec before finally resting on FF....
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 31, 2009 6:17:18 AM

vvhocare5 said:

Second, that processor needs to be running at 3.3G or more to get good performance in Crysis. Its a combination of graphics AND CPU to get high scores in Crysis. 2.6 isnt enough. The layered blending may be a function of the app - get a jpg or tiff image and look at that for gradient smoothing.

While you can OC the CPU, it won't give you much if any more FPS in this paticular game. It seems to be GPU limited. I was reading some benchmarks the other day which showed no difference in FPS with 2.66 all the way up to 4.1ghz clock speeds while using a single 5870. Only when you use two 5870's in Xfire does the increased clock speeds make a difference in this game (and most games it was benchmarked with).

This isn't the artical I read the other day, but it shows the same thing, once you get to 1280x1024 graphics or higher, no OC'ing makes a difference. It's GPU bound, and with an i7, most games are GPU bound.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/neha...
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=2152&ima...
m
l
December 31, 2009 3:03:58 PM

Quote:

This isn't the artical I read the other day, but it shows the same thing, once you get to 1280x1024 graphics or higher, no OC'ing makes a difference. It's GPU bound, and with an i7, most games are GPU bound.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/neha...
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=2152&ima...
[/quotemsg]

this article is great! It really made me feel better about the I7 I bought. i know the highest end is amazing, but really, I don't think i want to spend 1,000 to play crysis.

Anyways, updated all my drivers and still have this damn problem!
m
l
December 31, 2009 5:33:40 PM

kevincease said:

also, how do I check if it's in the right slot?

Go here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
click Specifications tab and read notes under Expansion Slots next to PCI Express 2.0 x16

This states that a single GPU should be installed in the PCIEX16_1 slot on your MB. This should either be labeled on your MB itself or in the manual for it. I can't check the manual from this computer but my guess would be that this is the x16 slot closest to your CPU.

The recommended slot should also be in your manual somewhere if you want to verify with that.

Good luck!
m
l
January 4, 2010 7:38:07 PM

Ok, so we tested the PSU and it was stable. We did a clean OS install and instead of using the drivers that came with the GPU, we used Driver Genious and just immediately started with the latest versions of all drivers. VIOLA! IT WORKED! Problem solved. Thank god i didn't have to replace the MOBO!!
m
l
!