Can I plan a new build one component at a time?

ravel96

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
A matter of months ago, I posted about building a new system and got some good initial advice. Now, after getting sidetracked, I'm finally getting down to doing this. Is it possible to plan this new build one component at a time or do I really need to plan out each component ahead of time? In other words, can I decide on each component, purchase it, and install it before moving on to the next one, or is that not feasible?

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I suppose it is feasible if you generally know what you want, but you should definitely plan on a platform. Some CPUs will not be compatible with other motherboards (ex. an i5 750 will NOT work on a socket 775 or 1366 motherboard). So if you have a compatible CPU + Mobo, then I assume you COULD install one piece at a time (also assuming you're going for newer tech and getting ddr3 memory).

Of course, buying one at a time may actually hinder your pc's value or performance depending on how long of a span you had in mind. New tech comes out constantly, which is one of the reasons why builders usually purchase and build their systems at the same time. So in that sense, while you could decide and install each component individual, I would not recommend it.

If you're having trouble picking out parts, then look at the top for the "how to ask for advice" sticky and repost using the appropriate details. :)

It's hard to do one component at a time cause of the interrelations.....

Case / PSU - Well the best buy in PSU's right now is the Antec CP-850 .... but it only fits in 4 cases at this point so choosing one w/o the other has it's downfalls.

MoBo / Memory / CPU / GFX Cards - the chipset on the MoBo determines what CPU and memory it takes as well as how many Vid cards it can handle.

Sound Cards - no sense picking one out if MoBo has great on board sound.

Storage - feasible to buy a HD now and an SSD later.