Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

60 FPS... is it the games or the card? GTX 670

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 26, 2012 6:53:44 AM

im running TRI-SLI EVGA FTW 670's on water. have been playing around with evga precision and cant seem to get over 60FPS on games like Skyrim, or assasins creed revelations? anything to help a noob is greatly appreciated

More about : fps games card gtx 670

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 26, 2012 8:08:14 AM

games have somthing called VSync to help pervent tearing of textures, it will cap it at the refresh rate of your monitor which is 60Hz
July 26, 2012 3:47:38 PM

even though ive shut vsync off?
Related resources

Best solution

July 26, 2012 4:17:04 PM
Share

With vsync off you should see an improvement in fps. You should turn it off in game and in the nvidia graphics settings
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 1:38:42 AM

i would not turn it off, you will most likely see a large ammount of tearing and it may lower you gaming experience
July 27, 2012 1:49:42 AM

Its really preference. Vsync on does help with screen tearing. Vsync on will also typically give people a bit of a lag feel to their mouse especially in 1st person shooters. With it off, that lag feel tends not to be there. Weird, right?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 2:28:28 PM

I've never had lag or any issues with vsync. If my game can go up to 60FPS, I cap it there as anything over that is just stressing my GPU for no reason.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 6:10:31 PM

acer0169 said:
I've never had lag or any issues with vsync. If my game can go up to 60FPS, I cap it there as anything over that is just stressing my GPU for no reason.


the only issue i have with VSync is in some games i find it won't fully stress my GPU and instead cause low FPS, though that may be an issue with the game itself
July 29, 2012 12:35:24 PM

did you somehow lock the card to only put out 60fps? if so why does it matter? unless you have a 3d monitor or something, with 120hz
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2012 7:07:43 PM

mrbeanladen said:
did you somehow lock the card to only put out 60fps? if so why does it matter? unless you have a 3d monitor or something, with 120hz


as it was stated above, its a tech called VSync to prevent screen tearing, it's normal and quite handy for high end systems
July 30, 2012 7:30:09 PM

Vsync is annoying when it caps you at 30fps.
August 3, 2012 3:15:19 AM

Best answer selected by gumby6288.
August 3, 2012 11:07:17 AM

Patflute said:
Vsync is annoying when it caps you at 30fps.

i dont think so vsync caps u at 30 fp. As vsync limits the fps to the refresh rate of your monitor and i personaly dont know any monitor or other display which 30hz refresh rate. But some games , especialy RTS like red alert 3 and Anno2040 do cap your fps to 30 for some reason.
August 3, 2012 5:24:08 PM

dirtymanso said:
i dont think so vsync caps u at 30 fp. As vsync limits the fps to the refresh rate of your monitor and i personaly dont know any monitor or other display which 30hz refresh rate. But some games , especialy RTS like red alert 3 and Anno2040 do cap your fps to 30 for some reason.

If your fps drops below 40 fps randomly it will cap you at 30 for a while. I've experienced it in TF2 with fraps running on a 60hz monitor.
January 16, 2013 3:09:24 AM

i dont understand how to get a game to run at a solid 60fps i have to look at the sky or a wall for it to stay on 60fps. and i have good hardware wtf
!