Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2011 3:42:20 PM

My setup
2500K CPU
120GB OCZ SSD
8GB ram
620W PSU
windows 7

I built this computer about 8 months ago.

It was running fine until yesterday.
After playing long hours of gaming, I quit game and went to windows screen and then it froze.
Mouse was working fine but I couldn't click. CTRL+ALT + DEL didn't work either.
I was so tired so I just turned it off (by pressing power button) and went to sleep.

THis morning, when I boot the computer, it didn't enter the windows screen.
It just stops at motherboard brand screen with press F11 to go to boot menu...etc.
ANd so I went to bios and it doesn't recognize that my SSD is there.
The only SATA related hardware it recognizes is my DVD drive.

It says
"Reboot and select proper Boot device
or Insert BOot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

What should I do?
Does this mean my SSD is dead? is there a way to check this?
I tried to plug it to different SATA ports but no difference has been made.
a c 261 G Storage
December 18, 2011 4:22:38 PM

Sounds that way. Looks like you have already done the checking and it is not detected on a different connector.
m
l
December 18, 2011 4:35:24 PM

rolli59 said:
Sounds that way. Looks like you have already done the checking and it is not detected on a different connector.

Is there any other ways to confirm that it really died?

I don't just want to assume that it died and get a new one when I could just fix the problem.

Another info I have is that my motherboard is POSSIBLY defected. I got this as soon as Sandybridge CPU came out and they officially announced that about half of their motherboards got defected SATA ports. I thought I did some research back then and only plugged into the ones that are not supposed to be defected but i have no way of finding it out.
m
l
Related resources
a c 261 G Storage
December 18, 2011 4:53:04 PM

Not recognized by BIOS then you can not do anything with it with the computer! When you tested the second connector did you check the SATA power lead to it as well? No power it will not show up!
m
l
December 18, 2011 5:09:06 PM

rolli59 said:
Not recognized by BIOS then you can not do anything with it with the computer! When you tested the second connector did you check the SATA power lead to it as well? No power it will not show up!

Yeah, I just used the same power connector and SATA cable from DVD drive and plugged it to SSD to see if it works and BIOS still can't recognize my SSD even though it was able to detect DVD drive using the same sata cable and the power connector.

Does this confirm 100% that my SSD is dead?
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
December 18, 2011 5:14:37 PM

Yep!
m
l
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 5:30:22 PM

Your SSD opted for early retirement. I've had that happen sooner or later on 2/4 of the SSDs I've bought, a Crucial and an AData, and it looks like the AData RMA has quickly died as well (although I'm not done testing yet). My Intel and G.Skill drives are still running like champs though. I'm just really glad I'm a firm believer in backups.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 5:30:51 PM

make sure all the cables are tight ?
m
l
December 18, 2011 5:38:44 PM

Onus said:
Your SSD opted for early retirement. I've had that happen sooner or later on 2/4 of the SSDs I've bought, a Crucial and an AData, and it looks like the AData RMA has quickly died as well (although I'm not done testing yet). My Intel and G.Skill drives are still running like champs though. I'm just really glad I'm a firm believer in backups.

I have read that Crucial brand is reliable but are you saying that your Crucial died, too? If so, what should I get :o 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 5:57:21 PM

your voltages could be wrong ( over volt ) you can be getting power spikes.... from the wall.... perhaps a bad power supply or bad power strip ? something is destroying your hardware. I had a "quality" name brand PS that reeked havoc on a machine.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 18, 2011 6:07:30 PM

This was a first-generation 64GB Crucial. I got it replaced under warranty (with a refurbished drive), but have not used the replacement yet. When it died, I was able to get the data off of it.
I am considering rebuilding my wife's PC soon, and will likely use it then as the cache drive for SRT, where it shouldn't matter much if it dies again.
m
l
December 22, 2011 10:49:17 PM

Thank you everyone for helping me.
I just got a new SSD, Crucial M4 256GB and it is detected by both BIOS and windows 7 installer thus the problem has been solved.

Thank you all especially rolli59 for confirming what my problem was :) 
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:45:18 PM

I just had the exact same problem. Is there any way to get the data off the dead SSD drive??

Thanks!
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:45:21 PM

I just had the exact same problem. Is there any way to get the data off the dead SSD drive??

Thanks!
m
l
!