Mobo/CPU advice & opinions

tusic

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
EDIT: Changed the layout of the post and the excess verbiage I used.

Hello all. It's been about 6 years since I tried my hand at computer building. I'm hoping to reuse alot of the system I have and just replace the main components (motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week BUDGET RANGE: $250-300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General internet/word processing usage, Light RPG gaming (WoW, Mass Effect 2 [the purpose of the build], Dragon Age: Orgins)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case, monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse, power supply [reusing Antec True 550 ESP12v]

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: microcenter.com and brick and mortar, newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AM3 slot for upgrade potential

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm not looking for anything too crazy, just a system that I can play some modern games on at medium-high settings at a semi-low resolution. I like the concept of the AM3 socket 'cause I can upgrade to a quad core in the future. I just want to make sure the motherboard I'm looking at is mostly future-proof.

I'm currently looking at:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

and

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

This one supports DDR3, has 2x PCI express slots and onboard video so I can go without getting a new GPU right away. I'll probably go this route.

I'm looking at the motherboards at my local Microcenter (in Madison Heights, MI) mostly so I can just get it when I get the processor. Hopefully, this link will work and will show what they have in stock: http://microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?web_group=byopc_sysboards

Any other suggestions as to a good mobo? I'd like to stick to under $150 if possible.

Thanks!