Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Problem - Kills everything or just the mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 26, 2010 9:38:09 PM

I put together a computer yesterday, and when I flipped the switch the power supply made a loud pop and a flash, and then died. not only did it take the computer I was building but also took my other computer in the room out. My question, if anyone has seen this happen first... second, if when this kind of thing happens, (power supply issue) if it takes the cpu and ram also, or usually just takes the mobo... The boards in question are asus m2a7-am and a m3a78-em, a quad core and a x2. I don't have any more amd mobos to check my parts, and if they are fragged, i'd like to just order some new ones, (of whatever I need) as these are work computers, and I just can't wait for thermaltake or newegg to warranty me some new parts in a decade or two...

Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

-Parker
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 10:01:30 PM

WEll first off you better have your house inspected by an electrician, sounds like you got a problem in the wiring, maybe to big of a breaker or something. Its normal for a PSU to take out the PC its on, but not another one in the room.

The only way to find out is get a new "quality PSU and start swapping parts, if you have no parts take it to a shop, and thats what they do, but it will cost you.
m
l
July 26, 2010 10:12:14 PM

This is actually an industrial setting, and in specific the circuit that the failed board in question was on was shared with an RPC, I'm planning on having maintenance look at it and actually figure out what happened, but for now I'm trying to troubleshoot what we're assuming that I will need to be functional again.

Also funny, I just tested the power supply on the second machine, and it is completely functional.

Anyway, the big question here guys is if it is common or rare for something to take the mobo without frying the cpu/ ram...

Other experiences?

Thanks!

-Parker
m
l
a c 96 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
July 26, 2010 11:52:24 PM

I get the feeling this answer is more or less impossible to answer. Electricity will take the shortest path to ground. It can fry whatever is in that path. If a part in that path can handle that load then it will be fine. If it can't, its fried. There is no way for me (or anyone else) to know what path the electricity took. You'll have to swap parts one at a time until you figure out what went wrong.
m
l
Related resources
!