Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cooler Master V8 Fan replacement.

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2010 10:51:44 PM

Recently my year old CM V8's fan started humming/rattling and when booting up my bios reported a CPU fan error (occationally).

So I replaced the fan with a silverstone fm121-b 120mm fan. Temps are about 5c cooler as well which is nice, the fan moves almost twice as much air (110 cfm on the silverstone 65 cfm on the original fan).

Heres my issue, I do not believe the fan has anything in which to connect to the MB. its just hooked up to your typical 12v dongle. therefore when my PC boots, it will give the "cpu fan error!" It doesnt stop me from booting my system, but its annoying.

Specs are as follows

intel core i7 920
Asus P6T mobo
6gb corsair dominator ddr3
corsair 750TX PSU
ATI radeon 5850
creative x-fi sound

I was rooting around the bios trying to see if there were any settings to turn off, to stop it from doing the cpu fan check. furthermore there are two other connectors on the fan, one is for the fan control (which I am not using, just left the fan on max.) the other is probably for the MB, but the jumper the original fan was plugged into on the mobo is like twice the size of the connector on the fan.

heres a link to the fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

link tot he mobo:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QtpKQuERkuYw6trc&...

Just curious if anyone can help me out with linking the fan to the mobo, or killing the cpu fan error report on bootup, one of the two.

These are the connectors:

as you can see it has a molex connector, the fan control connector (white) and a 3 pin connector (brown). The cpu fan connector has 4 pins, the 3 pin on the fan can connect to the CPU fan jumper on the board(physically), I am not sure if I should connect it there, if i need that and the molex connector plugged or if the fan would recieve power via the cpu fan jumper. The previous fan had a 4 pin connector and it plugged intot eh cpu fan jumper, and had no other connectors.

Thanks!
March 10, 2010 12:44:37 AM

This thread can be closed I ended up answering my own question.
Score
March 14, 2010 10:54:10 AM

what was your answer?
Score
Related resources
March 14, 2010 1:35:25 PM

mark_k said:
what was your answer?

the secondary hookup on the fan only connects one pin the the cpu fan jumper on the mobo, which is the tachometer for the fan, so the mobo can read it, it is required to hookup both that and the molex connector.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2010 4:31:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!