Gtx 550 SLI Not Working

HolyCowImAnoOb

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Id suggest updating the bios to the latest firmware. its very simple, just download the bios from asus' website, pop it on a flash drive and go into the bios. should take roughly 20 seconds and then retry. see if that has fixed your problem

HolyCowImAnoOb

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Secondly, do you have a sli bridge installed? some of the cards/motherboards dont come with a sli bridge in the box. thus requiring you to buy a sli bridge. make sure youre using the sli connector and not a crossfire one

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
No I didn't see a pop up.
First I installed one card to get the system running.
Then I installed the second card and attached the SLI cable to it.
The Resolution changes to 1920x1200 but when I try to enable SLI through the control panel it changes the reso back to a lower one and doesn't recognize the cards.

I've tried both 296.10 and 301.42 drivers from Nvidia.

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I've updated the bios to the latest version. That's what i thought the problem was at first.

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
with both cards installed I want you to uninstall the nVidia drivers
then (and this can be done in safe mode) reinstall drivers but select custom install.
under custom install select the 'clean install' option and then install drivers.

make sure both cards are installed securely and power adapters in the 550 Ti's.
I also suggest trying 296 drivers and not 301 just yet.

I did the clean install, it reboots, changes back to the 1920x1200 reso but when i enable SLI, it defaults back to a lower reso.

Should I just install the drivers without the SLI attached?

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
try both cards individually (one at a time) in the first slot.
I know that one card works in the first slot since you said that earlier now try the other card in the first slot and boot.

this will eliminate the possibility or show us if the second GPU or SLOT is bad.

So i had the chance over the weekend to try both cards in the first slot. They both work.
I also ran OC Scanner, Precision X, and windows 7 All recognized I had two cards.
I tried to see if it was the SLI cable...So i tried a different one...
In the Nvidia control panel the enable SLI option only comes up when the SLI cable is attached....
However, when i click apply, thats when it makes the windows noise when you connect a usb device, then goes back to a crappy resolution.

I dont know if this makes a difference but I bought these two cards from a friend who had em in his computer previously.
Could it be some setting on the cards themselves?

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
update you BIOS....

I updated the bios...again. Still no luck.
BEFORE updating however, I did run driver sweeper in safe mode and removed the nvidia drivers and did a clean install. The end result was different then what was happening. After i rebooted, the system notifications on the right side said my system was SLI able. However, when i enabled it, it went n defaulted to the crappy resolution.
In the device manager i was receiving two yellow exclamation points. This time i only received one, but on the first card not the second...

http://tinypic.com/r/v8nchw/6 (Device Driver)

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
MotherBoard: Asus M5A99X EVO (bios updated 1208)(All GPU slots working)
PSU: Thermaltake 1000w (tested pci e power plugs working)
Processor: AMD FX 6100
Ram: GSkill Sniper Series 2133
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Case: Thermaltake V9 BlacX
HD: Seagate 1TB
Video Card/s: 2x GTX 550ti ("Sli")
(Both read by windows driver manager until sli enabling, cpu-z, nvidia driver 301.xx, gpu tweak (with no tweaks), I can enable two monitors and see windows desktop on both.)

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
no.
the long green bar that says SLi covering both GPU's saying SLi means it's in SLi....

are you seriously telling me and amuffin that we don't know what were talking about.?

What im telling you is...when i apply the settings...it disables my graphics...and when i try to play games...it says there's no video card...

I could be wrong...this is the whole point of me asking for help...to better understand/fix the issue.

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
OK make sure the graphics cards are in the 2 x/16 slots on the motherboard.
they will default to x8/x8/ but that's what we want.
if you have a graphics card in the x4/ slot then SLi will not enable.

Multi-GPU Support Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
Expansion Slots 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

which ones are you using.?
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/4157_07_asus_m5a99x_evo_amd_990x_mo.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2crwtco/6 Just so anyone else could see it clearer

And im using the two long PCI-e, the ones with the cmos battery in between (Blue(on the farthest left of your picture) and White(right of cmos battery)

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
OK now....
is that the same card that gave you the error from before or is it the same slot with the error.?
so if you were to swap the cards around and then attempt to enable SLi,,,,, where does the device manager error.?
make sense.?

Yes complete sense.
I tried this yesterday after noon, i swapped cards to see if it would make a difference.
Same result with card 1 in slot one with card two in slot two
And same result with card 1 in slot two with card two in slot one.

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
RMA your motherboard, you have a bad slot...

BIOS updates
reformat
swapped cards around
still same problem
===========
motherboard is defective

You probably are right.
It just confuses me when everything reads it including the bios.
Wouldnt it not be able to function especially when i can play games without the SLI enabled?

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
it's read in device manager and in the BIOS but there is obviously a problem or the error wouldn't be in the device manger.

is the card install securely and doesn't wiggle.?
you can try to push lightly on the slot itself and press it on the motherboard to make sure it's full on.?
try cleaning the slot with an alcohol solution.?

what else is there to do.?

Thank you for your help.
Its pretty aggravating especially when I just built this PC.
Having to RMA when the video card actually works is just such a hassle, i prefer to just sell the other one and save one to the equivalent of the two.

v3numb

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
but you still have a defective motherboard....
that would bug me to death if I used it or not..

So after calling asus and trying to RMA for three weeks now...
I decided to go off my gut feeling...which was there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
I bought a new SSD and installed the drivers ...the sli is now working.