Gtx 550 SLI Not Working

I am using a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754
MOBO. I have both GTX 550s connected and windows 7 reads both cards. However, when I try to enable SLI it doesn't read both cards and I have to reinstall drivers. What could I be doing wrong? :sweat:
29 answers Last reply
More about working
  1. Id suggest updating the bios to the latest firmware. its very simple, just download the bios from asus' website, pop it on a flash drive and go into the bios. should take roughly 20 seconds and then retry. see if that has fixed your problem
  2. Secondly, do you have a sli bridge installed? some of the cards/motherboards dont come with a sli bridge in the box. thus requiring you to buy a sli bridge. make sure youre using the sli connector and not a crossfire one
  3. No I didn't see a pop up.
    First I installed one card to get the system running.
    Then I installed the second card and attached the SLI cable to it.
    The Resolution changes to 1920x1200 but when I try to enable SLI through the control panel it changes the reso back to a lower one and doesn't recognize the cards.

I've tried both 296.10 and 301.42 drivers from Nvidia.
  4. HolyCowImAnoOb said:
    Id suggest updating the bios to the latest firmware. its very simple, just download the bios from asus' website, pop it on a flash drive and go into the bios. should take roughly 20 seconds and then retry. see if that has fixed your problem

I've updated the bios to the latest version. That's what i thought the problem was at first.
  5. Quote:
    with both cards installed I want you to uninstall the nVidia drivers
    then (and this can be done in safe mode) reinstall drivers but select custom install.
    under custom install select the 'clean install' option and then install drivers.

make sure both cards are installed securely and power adapters in the 550 Ti's.
    I also suggest trying 296 drivers and not 301 just yet.

I did the clean install, it reboots, changes back to the 1920x1200 reso but when i enable SLI, it defaults back to a lower reso.

Should I just install the drivers without the SLI attached?
  6. Quote:
    try both cards individually (one at a time) in the first slot.
    I know that one card works in the first slot since you said that earlier now try the other card in the first slot and boot.

this will eliminate the possibility or show us if the second GPU or SLOT is bad.

So i had the chance over the weekend to try both cards in the first slot. They both work.
    I also ran OC Scanner, Precision X, and windows 7 All recognized I had two cards.
    I tried to see if it was the SLI cable...So i tried a different one...
    In the Nvidia control panel the enable SLI option only comes up when the SLI cable is attached....
    However, when i click apply, thats when it makes the windows noise when you connect a usb device, then goes back to a crappy resolution.

I dont know if this makes a difference but I bought these two cards from a friend who had em in his computer previously.
    Could it be some setting on the cards themselves?
  7. Quote:
    update you BIOS....

I updated the bios...again. Still no luck.
    BEFORE updating however, I did run driver sweeper in safe mode and removed the nvidia drivers and did a clean install. The end result was different then what was happening. After i rebooted, the system notifications on the right side said my system was SLI able. However, when i enabled it, it went n defaulted to the crappy resolution.
    In the device manager i was receiving two yellow exclamation points. This time i only received one, but on the first card not the second...

http://tinypic.com/r/v8nchw/6 (Device Driver)
  8. Quote:
    hmm, interesting..
    right click on the exclamation mark and what does it say.?

http://tinypic.com/r/2qa23ig/6 on one card.
  9. Quote:
    so both cards work in slot 1 all by themselves correct.?
    now try both cards in slot 2 only..

Both cards work in slot two by themselves
    and both cards work in slot one by themselves
  10. MotherBoard: Asus M5A99X EVO (bios updated 1208)(All GPU slots working)
    PSU: Thermaltake 1000w (tested pci e power plugs working)
    Processor: AMD FX 6100
    Ram: GSkill Sniper Series 2133
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8
    Case: Thermaltake V9 BlacX
    HD: Seagate 1TB
    Video Card/s: 2x GTX 550ti ("Sli")
    (Both read by windows driver manager until sli enabling, cpu-z, nvidia driver 301.xx, gpu tweak (with no tweaks), I can enable two monitors and see windows desktop on both.)
  11. Quote:
    take a screen shot of your nVidia CP:
    http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/sli_622.jpg

(it's not mine but same look.)

http://tinypic.com/r/1zw0nid/6
  12. SLI is workin...
  13. Quote:
    that shows SLi is working and enabled..

Take a look at the bottom left of the picture...
    the APPLY button isnt greyed out...I didnt apply the setting...Once i do...it disables the drivers then i have to reinstall...
  14. amuffin said:
    SLI is workin...

SLI is not applied take a look at the bottom left of the picture...
  15. Quote:
    no.
    the long green bar that says SLi covering both GPU's saying SLi means it's in SLi....

are you seriously telling me and amuffin that we don't know what were talking about.?

What im telling you is...when i apply the settings...it disables my graphics...and when i try to play games...it says there's no video card...

I could be wrong...this is the whole point of me asking for help...to better understand/fix the issue.
  16. Quote:
    no.
    the long green bar that says SLi covering both GPU's saying SLi means it's in SLi....

are you seriously telling me and amuffin that we don't know what were talking about.?

see picture...
    http://tinypic.com/r/abjv9h/6

I just checked the radio button so it shows SLI ENABLED,,,
    However, it isnt applied...if i Xout or APPLY it disables my drivers...
  17. Quote:
    ok.
    so it shows SLi but when you hit apply it goes WRONG...
    is that what your saying.?

I stated this at the beginning of the thread...
  18. Quote:
    OK make sure the graphics cards are in the 2 x/16 slots on the motherboard.
    they will default to x8/x8/ but that's what we want.
    if you have a graphics card in the x4/ slot then SLi will not enable.

Multi-GPU Support Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
    Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
    Expansion Slots 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
    1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
    2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    1 x PCI

which ones are you using.?
    http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/4157_07_asus_m5a99x_evo_amd_990x_mo.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2crwtco/6 Just so anyone else could see it clearer

And im using the two long PCI-e, the ones with the cmos battery in between (Blue(on the farthest left of your picture) and White(right of cmos battery)
  19. Quote:
    check device manager again, still showing errors.?

I just applied the sli and this is what happens

http://tinypic.com/r/5e9wqr/6
  20. Quote:
    OK now....
    is that the same card that gave you the error from before or is it the same slot with the error.?
    so if you were to swap the cards around and then attempt to enable SLi,,,,, where does the device manager error.?
    make sense.?

Yes complete sense.
    I tried this yesterday after noon, i swapped cards to see if it would make a difference.
    Same result with card 1 in slot one with card two in slot two
    And same result with card 1 in slot two with card two in slot one.
  21. Quote:
    so your saying that the device manager error happened on the same slot regardless of which card was there.?

Yes sir.
  22. Quote:
    RMA your motherboard, you have a bad slot...

BIOS updates
    reformat
    swapped cards around
    still same problem
    ===========
    motherboard is defective

You probably are right.
    It just confuses me when everything reads it including the bios.
    Wouldnt it not be able to function especially when i can play games without the SLI enabled?
  23. Quote:
    it's read in device manager and in the BIOS but there is obviously a problem or the error wouldn't be in the device manger.

is the card install securely and doesn't wiggle.?
    you can try to push lightly on the slot itself and press it on the motherboard to make sure it's full on.?
    try cleaning the slot with an alcohol solution.?

what else is there to do.?

Thank you for your help.
    Its pretty aggravating especially when I just built this PC.
    Having to RMA when the video card actually works is just such a hassle, i prefer to just sell the other one and save one to the equivalent of the two.
  24. Quote:
    but you still have a defective motherboard....
    that would bug me to death if I used it or not..

So after calling asus and trying to RMA for three weeks now...
    I decided to go off my gut feeling...which was there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
    I bought a new SSD and installed the drivers ...the sli is now working.
  25. v3numb said:
    So after calling asus and trying to RMA for three weeks now...
    I decided to go off my gut feeling...which was there was nothing wrong with the hardware.
    I bought a new SSD and installed the drivers ...the sli is now working.

i'm having this EXACT same problem with the same MOBO but with a 560ti SLI config. so did you solve the problem just by installing the drivers in another disk?
  26. andrx01 said:
    i'm having this EXACT same problem with the same MOBO but with a 560ti SLI config. so did you solve the problem just by installing the drivers in another disk?

I resolved the problem. Its the operating system. I bought a new SSD and installed windows 7.
    I activated the SLI before entering the cd key i had purchased.
  27. v3numb said:
    I resolved the problem. Its the operating system. I bought a new SSD and installed windows 7.
    I activated the SLI before entering the cd key i had purchased.

so, let me get this straight, you bought the SSD, then configurated and activated SLI and then entered the CD key for Win7?

or

you have to enter the Win7 CD in order to get the SLI working?
  28. I think he means he reinstalled windows and that got it to work
  29. andrx01 said:
    so, let me get this straight, you bought the SSD, then configurated and activated SLI and then entered the CD key for Win7?

or

you have to enter the Win7 CD in order to get the SLI working?

Bought the SSD
    Configured drivers and SLI
    Then i entered WIN7 key
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Windows 7 SLI Overclocking Product