huhjunn

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Guys I need your help and answer URGENTLY as I am buying this guys used ram in maybe 1 hour. If my PC has this kind of ram: 2x1gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (dual channel)

Will this guys: Hynix 1GB Memory - PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM-667MHz - 240pin - $25 ram work?

What is the memory timings and voltage specification for your current RAM?

What is the memory timings and voltage specification of the RAM that you are planning to purchase?

You want the voltage specification of the RAM that you are planning to purchase to be exactly the same as the RAM that is currently in your system.

You want memory timings of the RAM that you are planning to purchase to be at least as fast or faster than the timings of the RAM that is currently in your system.

No. If one type of memory module requires 1.5Volts and another type requires 1.8Volts to operate without errors you don't want to overvolt the 1.5Volt modules to 1.8Volts because you may damage them. You don't want to undervolt the 1.8Volt modules to 1.5Volts because they may not be able to run properly/reliably at that voltage without producing memory errors.
The memory voltage you set in the BIOS setup applies to all of the memory modules. You can't set voltages for each memory module or channel independently.

huhjunn

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

So it would tell me all this information that I need on the actual ram stick correct? By the way, say all the ram sticks match. If I use all 4 slots in my PC which supports dual channeling, will it have trouble dual channeling with all 4 slots used?

In theory it should work but in practice there is no guarantee. Using all 4 memory slots increases the electrical load on the memory bus so you may have to tweak the memory timings and command rate to get it to work.