Dual CPU Motherboards

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some research on dual motherboard cpu's and would like your guy's input.
I'm working on building a new PC with a motherboard that will support dual CPU's. As to what I want to go with I'm not sure on. I'm of course stuck on AMD or Intel. I'm not really using the new PC for gaming (but i will game from time to time) but I'm really using it for Virtual Machines. I plan on setting up multiple servers, clients, etc on this box. I do know that Intel has the higher cache but AMD processors like the Black edition I have noticed have higher L3 cache.

What do you guys recommend that would work best with virtual machines? I do plan on putting a fair amount of money into this but not an exorbitant amount which is why I am considering AMD. I have considered just going with say a High end i7 processor but they tend to be expensive as well.

Thanks again ahead of time for your tips and advices :)
5 answers Last reply
More about dual motherboards
  1. What is your budget?

As a guess, virtual machines will want lots of ram.

I would put a good value on a i7 930 cpu based system. With the addition of a decent cooler you can overclock it conservatively to i7-975 speeds at 1/3 the cost.

Such a system can support 24gb.

Past that, you are looking at workstation systems which will cost several times more.
  2. My budget for between the motherboard, CPU and RAM i'm looking around $600.

I already have a nice full tower case which is water cooling ready, I have a geforce 260GTX which will last me for a long time and hard drive space is not an issue at the moment.
  3. Solidous said:
    My budget for between the motherboard, CPU and RAM i'm looking around $600.

I already have a nice full tower case which is water cooling ready, I have a geforce 260GTX which will last me for a long time and hard drive space is not an issue at the moment.

Your budget will buy a
    i7-930($300, $200 if you can get to a microcenter)
    X58 motherboard about $180.
    6gb kit of DDR3 1333 ram $135

I would not consider watercooling. A good air cooler will cool just as well, and be cheaper.
    Water cool only if you are looking for record seekong overclocks.
  4. i'm not looking for record over-clocking but i plan on doing some over-clocking. so a nice big air cooler will work just fine then? (don't want to cause over heating. I haven't done a lot of over-clocking yet and i'm just be cautious.)

Thanks for all your help so far :)
  5. Solidous said:
    i'm not looking for record over-clocking but i plan on doing some over-clocking. so a nice big air cooler will work just fine then? (don't want to cause over heating. I haven't done a lot of over-clocking yet and i'm just be cautious.)

Thanks for all your help so far :)

I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. Almost any will do. You should be able to get one for <$40.
    A very conservative overclock will get you 3.33 which is i7-975 speeds.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards CPUs