Gateway nv 53 screen shuts off

mercyfulfate

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct Category/Sub Category. It may better be suited for Laptops/Notebooks but since it's a display issue and the integrated card is an ATI Mobility, I figured I'd post it here instead.

I have a new Gateway NV53 laptop. I am having an issue where I am occasionally using the machine and the laptop screen will go completely black. It doesn't happen every day, but has occured at least 4-5 times.

I have gone into the Device Manager and where it has the AMD M800G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200 driver listed, I right clicked and searched for updated drivers. Microsoft (Windows 7) has come back saying the best driver for the device is installed.

The first time this occured, I had not been actively using the computer (2-3 minutes idle time tops) so I checked Power Management for the machine and nothing is set to have the display (or anything for that matter) turn off that quickly. Since then, the dusplay has gone black on me while I was using the machine.

This is the only issue I've been experiencing with the laptop. The only way I've been able to resume use is to power off the machine and restart it via the power button.

Any possible remedies would be great.

seawolf541

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I purchased model NV53. I am having similar display issues. After the laptop goes to sleep, when I try to wake it up the screen will just light up greyish. nothing else. I have to disconnect the battery and reboot to have screen work. EVERY time it goes to sleep. thoughts?