Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Did I just waste $ buying 1066 sticks with my system? help please

Last response: in Memory
Share
July 26, 2010 10:28:20 PM

Hi guys I just bought two 2gb 1066 G.Skill sticks to upgrade from my ddr2 800s. I have a core 2 duo E8400 and a GA-EP45-UD3L Mobo. Will I be able to run these sticks at 1066 (or the 1366 my Mobo says I can do) because at the moment they are running at 800. Thank you in advance for the feedback
a b } Memory
July 26, 2010 10:46:59 PM

First I would run CPU-Z and look at the memory. There sould be a SPD values.

Check your manual, do you have the option of selecting a profile that is stored on the memory sticks. If you can not then you will have to go into Bios and manually set it up. This involves changing memory multipler ratios and/or your bus (Current Bus is 200 Mhz). Changing this will also overclock your CPU, unless you also decrease the CPU multiplier.
m
0
l
July 26, 2010 10:47:07 PM

You'll have to look up the settings and configure them manually in the BIOS.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
July 26, 2010 10:59:25 PM

Are the two G.Skill modules replacing or adding to the existing DDR2 800s?

If they are replacing the existing memory modules then the memory speed and timings will be automatically set by the entries in the SPD Timings Table. You can override the Auto mode and set it yourself if you're planning to overclock the memory.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 26, 2010 11:35:21 PM

1066 and 800. Not a lot of difference. You should be able to set them manually, but default speed for you system is indeed 800. It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. 800mhz with lower timings, or 1066 with higher timings....most of the time, 800mhz with tight timings will actually "feel" faster. But as I said, there is really very, very little difference. You will only see it in benchmarks, and it is not a difference you will be able to notice otherwise.
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 2:39:57 AM

RetiredChief said:
First I would run CPU-Z and look at the memory. There sould be a SPD values.

Check your manual, do you have the option of selecting a profile that is stored on the memory sticks. If you can not then you will have to go into Bios and manually set it up. This involves changing memory multipler ratios and/or your bus (Current Bus is 200 Mhz). Changing this will also overclock your CPU, unless you also decrease the CPU multiplier.


SPD values say Max bandwith (400Mhz) for both slots. Ok Ill try multiplier ratios and I guess my bus. How far do I push the bus though?
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 2:41:26 AM

ko888 said:
Are the two G.Skill modules replacing or adding to the existing DDR2 800s?

If they are replacing the existing memory modules then the memory speed and timings will be automatically set by the entries in the SPD Timings Table. You can override the Auto mode and set it yourself if you're planning to overclock the memory.


They are replacing the ddr2 800s. I suppose I will overclock them to make the best out of the sticks. But Im starting to think their isnt much benefit to it. would you agree?
m
0
l
July 27, 2010 2:42:57 AM

jitpublisher said:
1066 and 800. Not a lot of difference. You should be able to set them manually, but default speed for you system is indeed 800. It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. 800mhz with lower timings, or 1066 with higher timings....most of the time, 800mhz with tight timings will actually "feel" faster. But as I said, there is really very, very little difference. You will only see it in benchmarks, and it is not a difference you will be able to notice otherwise.


Hmm thank you. I think I might be returning them. I plan on overclocking the CPU to 4.0 and the GPU to gain more performance in gaming.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
July 27, 2010 3:45:49 AM

yocheco619 said:
They are replacing the ddr2 800s. I suppose I will overclock them to make the best out of the sticks. But Im starting to think their isnt much benefit to it. would you agree?

You can run some synthetic benchmark on your DDR2-800 memory before you swap them out and then rerun the same benchmark after you replace them with the DDR2-1066.
m
0
l
!