Sign in with
Your question

HOW DO I Interface New SATA DVD Optical device on 2004 Gigabyte M/B

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2010 9:48:48 PM

Help Please,
I was having trouble burning from my old Lite-On RW..So....I bought a SATA optical DVD burner. I asked the guy at Frys if I could get this to work on my Home built AMD system w/2004 Gigabyte RZ motherboard W/XP-PRO. The IDE to SATA adapter he sold me was for a regular HD that could be hooked up to a newer motherboard. At least, that is all the instructions mentioned doing with it.

When I tried it with the SATA optical drive by putting this device on the motherboard, the start up stalled while looking for the drive. This adapter seems to go to a HD or a CD rom drive to make it hook up to a newer motherboard.

Can a newer type Optical burner be made to interface with an older MB?????

I am going to build a new computer in a few months. I just wanted to get Xmas out of the way.
January 2, 2010 10:07:06 PM

should be doable.....you have to make sure you have it powered though.....and what do you mean 'regular HD that could be booked up to a newer motherboard'?
m
l
January 3, 2010 11:49:23 AM

I did get a cable that hooked up to my power supply to convert it to the new type of hookup on the back of the optical DVD drive.

Basically I need to know how to hook up a new type of Data cable from this SATA device to the IDE motherboard. (Hope that I am saying it right!)

This adapter that I bought seems to work for drives on new motherboards trying to use older type hard drives and ROM drives without buying the newer components.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 3:44:41 AM

I know what you're trying to say. I also don't know if that can be done. Why didn't you just buy a PATA DVD drive? Most new motherboards have one PATA connector almost exclusively for that purpose only. (at least that's what I'm still using it for.)
m
l
January 4, 2010 9:53:19 AM

Maybe it was the Xmas holidays. I wanted to make some Xmas CDs and for some reason, both of my software programs quit recognizing the RW drive that I had. I tried to get a driver because it seemed corrupt but that didn't work.

So, I went to Frys. They had no PATA drives. I couldn't resist $30 for the Gear Head Optical drive with the Newest Nero software included.

This is why I asked before I bought it if I could use this unit on an older motherboard.

I guess I need to go to Micro-Center that is further away and see if I can ask those guys there if there is some kind of cable solution. At this point, I do not see that happening. I will keep this adapter so that I can run some of my older HDs on the new computer that I need to build. I can transfer all the data from them to a Terabyte HD.....or one of several Terabyte drives that I plan to have on the new unit that I plan to build.

I wanted to get into video. This is another reason that I bought this drive. It seems that these Optical drives are cheapo now. They are being phased out for the Blue Ray drives that will be much more expensive.

Thanks for the reply. Since no one here seems to think that what I am asking here can be done....I will just wait for my new computer to get back to making more music CDs. By the way, I looked at Wal-mart and other places for a Pata drive units and no one seemed to have it locally. Maybe it is just Xmas.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2010 7:21:35 PM

No, DVD drives are just simply $30 ish now. It's not like they'll stop making them for quite some time still. They've been like that for the last 3-4 years. You could always return the drive you have now and then go to microcenter. They have a huge section of $30 OEM DVD burners and they're half SATA and half PATA. I've gotten plenty there of the PATA version.

I've seen PATA to SATA converters used plenty.
But I haven't seen any SATA to PATA converters.
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:45:25 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Yep, getting a new PATA DVD burner for this old computer is what I will have to do. Frys....Wal-Mart....Office Depot... were out though. Micro-Center is two counties away and three times the drive.

I think that it is cool about the Optical DVD burner having "direct disk labeling". I was just thinking how cool it was and didn't want to think that I could not use it on my present computer. I could have used this in my business long ago.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 3:19:07 AM

Lightscribe? that stuff is terrible.

And oh. I have a fry's and a microcenter within spitting distance of each other, and can get to them in like 20-30 min. Most of the time I just use microcenter if I don't use an online thing as far as computers are concerned.

Wow it appears there are some.
http://www.usb-ware.com/ide-to-sata-converter.htm

You could also buy a PCI SATA controller, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not either way, your call.
m
l
January 5, 2010 10:21:29 AM

I think that this device that you linked me to is the same kind I bought already..except..my adapter is enclosed and more compact. This adapter that you linked to only attaches to the back of an older HD and it is for use on a newer motherboard. I built a computer for my daughter and that motherboard had hookups for SATA and IDE.

I have found a way to do what I want to do. I just have to get to Micro-Center to see if they have it in stock. I found one online and I have the link below.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&...

Wow...what a link!

So, there does seem to be a way to have a SATA world with and older PC.

I will see if this solves this dilemma that I have posted about here. This might solve a lot of problems for those who have no reason to build a new computer and want the coolness and speed of some newer Sata devices and HDs. I could put a third SATA HD on this computer with this type of ad on device.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 6:33:30 PM

No, it really isn't it says right on there, 'plugs stright into the back of a SATA drive and turns it into a PATA drive' The fact that it has the pins sticking out is also a good indication. The one you have should be the exact reverse of this (those are more common)
m
l
January 5, 2010 10:19:38 PM

Yep, I see that now. I am glad you pointed that out to me.

Thanks

I will have time to travel to Micro-Center this weekend. We will see if this is the fix.

So far, the $30+tax SATA DVD drive, the first adapter, and now another one will run up to about $67. This total price could go even higher if Micro-Center doesn't have the same adapter for about the same price. I have been seeing adapters that run for more money than the Gear Head DVD device originally cost.

I just hope that there is an adapter for this DVD device. I would enjoy using it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2010 11:04:49 PM

Personally I didn't see one at mine. Yours could obviously be different. Why not just buy it online?

They do have those PCI controllers though.
m
l
January 6, 2010 10:25:18 AM

I will call Micro-Center before I make the ride. Good point.

On-Line is the last resort.
m
l
!