Solved

ATI 5770 on Old Motherboard Questions~ Please help!

Hey guys, I have this reallllllly old motherboard, the ASUS P5LD2 SE, here's the link to the specs

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ly0uHyAg2GI5nzmr

Erm, it's rreally old, but it has a PCI-E slot, and I was wondering would the ATI 5770 work with this motherboard?

I know, I know, it's a waste of money to put such a good card on a crappy motherboard, but I can't buy a new computer, and I want to play fun games!

So, if anyone of you have any idea, please do help me. ALL helps are appreciated... THANKS!!!!!! :hello:
43 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5770 motherboard questions help
  1. Best answer
    Yes, it'll work. The motherboard isn't TOO bad. If it's a P4 socket 478 motherboard, then you can call it old!
  2. skolpo said:
    Yes, it'll work. The motherboard isn't TOO bad. If it's a P4 socket 478 motherboard, then you can call it old!


    Socket 478?! Are you kidding me?! xDDDD

    Okay, thanks for telling me, then I guess I'm gonna get that card within next month~

    Thanks for your time and your very appreciated help! :hello:
  3. It should work fine. What CPU do you have for it?
  4. sirheck said:
    It should work fine. What CPU do you have for it?


    Pentium 4

    It'd work, right?
  5. Yeah should work good.

    If you can find a good deal on a C2D later it will work a little better.
  6. sirheck said:
    Yeah should work good.

    If you can find a good deal on a C2D later it will work a little better.


    Okay~ Thanks!
  7. alexcheng said:
    Pentium 4

    It'd work, right?


    Yes but it wouldn't perform much better than a 4670.

    sirheck said:
    Yeah should work good.

    If you can find a good deal on a C2D later it will work a little better.


    A LOT better.
  8. socket 478? hah. i remember the 6mos that socket 423 P4's were around. i LOLed when intel switched to 478, cuz i was rollin on a slot a k7-800 :)

    anyways, i concur with the rest of'em. that 5770 will work fine, but will be held back in games by the old P4. check mobo compatibility and if possible, a C2D would be quite a step up...in everything.

    check your mobo, and if you see V2.0 silkscreened onto it then it will support a C2D upgrade. anything pre-2.0 wont.
  9. Yes, well, I know that upgrading the CPU will sure change things around, but the thing is, I have this CRAPPY motherboard and I wasn't sure if I should wait until I get a new one...

    But maybe I'll get a Duo or a Quad, and then when I get my new computer someday, my mom could take this one xDDDDD

    Okay~ Thanks for all the advice, folks!!!!!!
  10. alexcheng said:
    Yes, well, I know that upgrading the CPU will sure change things around, but the thing is, I have this CRAPPY motherboard and I wasn't sure if I should wait until I get a new one...

    But maybe I'll get a Duo or a Quad, and then when I get my new computer someday, my mom could take this one xDDDDD

    Okay~ Thanks for all the advice, folks!!!!!!


    You should do the cpu upgrade before the gpu upgrade if you're getting the 5770.
    Look at the cpu support list on the mobo product page you linked to earlier to see what C2Ds your mobo supports.
    Sadly quads aren't on that list :[

    And as Justaguywitha said make sure you have the Rev 2.0 mobo before buying that new cpu.
  11. edeawillrule said:
    You should do the cpu upgrade before the gpu upgrade if you're getting the 5770.
    Look at the cpu support list on the mobo product page you linked to earlier to see what C2Ds your mobo supports.
    Sadly quads aren't on that list :[

    And as Justaguywitha said make sure you have the Rev 2.0 mobo before buying that new cpu.


    Darn right, it doesn't even support Quad... see what I mean? -*-

    Anyways... I'll get a Core 2 Duo as soon as I can. Do you know what's the price for the E8600?

    One more question, the unit "nm" means nanometer, and does it means that each one of the pin on the CPU is 45nm wide?

    **Edit**

    *Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor <<< What does this mean?

    And the Rev 2.0 motherboard, what does that mean?
  12. alexcheng said:
    Darn right, it doesn't even support Quad... see what I mean? -*-

    Anyways... I'll get a Core 2 Duo as soon as I can. Do you know what's the price for the E8600?

    One more question, the unit "nm" means nanometer, and does it means that each one of the pin on the CPU is 45nm wide?


    Your mobo doesn't support the E8600. Like I said look at the cpu support list on the mobo product page you linked to earlier to see what cpus your mobo supports. Even a Conroe Celeron Dual Core would be an upgrade from that Pentium 4.

    And nope 45nm is the size of the transistors the chip is made out of. Conroe Core 2s were 65, Penryn Core 2s are 45.

    From what I can tell your mobo only supports Conroe Core 2s.
  13. alexcheng said:
    Darn right, it doesn't even support Quad... see what I mean? -*-

    Anyways... I'll get a Core 2 Duo as soon as I can. Do you know what's the price for the E8600?

    One more question, the unit "nm" means nanometer, and does it means that each one of the pin on the CPU is 45nm wide?

    **Edit**

    *Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor <<< What does this mean?

    And the Rev 2.0 motherboard, what does that mean?


    The nm on CPU refers to the core(s) size. If each pin was 45nm, that'll be a HUGE processor!
  14. edeawillrule said:
    Your mobo doesn't support the E8600. Like I said look at the cpu support list on the mobo product page you linked to earlier to see what cpus your mobo supports. Even a Conroe Celeron Dual Core would be an upgrade from that Pentium 4.

    And nope 45nm is the size of the transistors the chip is made out of. Conroe Core 2s were 65, Penryn Core 2s are 45.

    From what I can tell your mobo only supports Conroe Core 2s.


    Oh God... there's so much to think about...

    Sorry for my stupidity, I know so less....

    Mind if I ask, what on earth is Conroe?
  15. skolpo said:
    The nm on CPU refers to the core(s) size. If each pin was 45nm, that'll be a HUGE processor!


    Really? Hahaa!!

    Do you guys have any website that I should go to learn more about these?
  16. alexcheng said:

    *Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor <<< What does this mean?

    And the Rev 2.0 motherboard, what does that mean?


    Those two are the same thing.
    It means that during the time Asus sold that motherboard they made changes to it, revised it. You'll need to have at least the 2.0 version of it to support Core 2 cpus. If you have an earlier model then you're out of luck and need to save up money for a new mobo, cpu, ram, gpu (which is the reason for all of this lol), etc.
  17. edeawillrule said:
    Those two are the same thing.
    It means that during the time Asus sold that motherboard they made changes to it, revised it. You'll need to have at least the 2.0 version of it to support Core 2 cpus. If you have an earlier model then you're out of luck and need to save up money for a new mobo, cpu, ram, gpu (which is the reason for all of this lol), etc.


    Oh god... this is where things get worse =(
  18. alexcheng said:
    Oh God... there's so much to think about...

    Sorry for my stupidity, I know so less....

    Mind if I ask, what on earth is Conroe?


    You're not stupid you're learning :]

    Intel made two versions of the Core 2 architecture.
    Conroe was the first and was manufactured at the 65nm process.
    Penryn was the second and was manufactured at the 45nm process.

    Penryn is basically an optimized / tweaked version of Conroe, and it has smaller transistors. The benefit of smaller transistors is less generated heat, lower power usage, and the ability to pack more transistors into a smaller area than ever before.
  19. Btw I'm assuming you've been using the motherboard's built in graphics?
  20. edeawillrule said:
    You're not stupid you're learning :]

    Intel made two versions of the Core 2 architecture.
    Conroe was the first and was manufactured at the 65nm process.
    Penryn was the second and was manufactured at the 45nm process.

    Penryn is basically an optimized / tweaked version of Conroe, and it has smaller transistors. The benefit of smaller transistors is less generated heat, lower power usage, and the ability to pack more transistors into a smaller area than ever before.


    Ohhh... Okay I get it

    So my motherboard only supports Conroe Core 2...

    aiya.............
  21. In fact I just realized nobody asked you the standard questions. Tsk tsk. :pfff:
    What is your monitor's native resolution?
    What kind of power supply do you have, what is its wattage, and how many amps are on the 12v rail?
    What OS are you running?
    And last but not least what are some of the games you want to play?

    Edit: Oh and how much ram do you have?
  22. edeawillrule said:
    Btw I'm assuming you've been using the motherboard's built in graphics?


    Well, I'm not using the on-board graphics

    But I assume the one I have now wouldn't have been much difference

    It's the ATI Radeon X550

    I don't know exactly which one it is, because it all looks the same and I don't have the original boxing anymore, but it might be this one...

    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=uViFLozF8WLCLpv2&templete=2
  23. edeawillrule said:
    In fact I just realized nobody asked you the standard questions. Tsk tsk. :pfff:
    What is your monitor's native resolution?
    What kind of power supply do you have, what is its wattage, and how many amps are on the 12v rail?
    What OS are you running?
    And last but not least what are some of the games you want to play?

    Edit: Oh and how much ram do you have?


    This computer was bought by my dad and I had no idea where he got all the components, so I might not know a few details... But I'll tell you as much as I can

    I have a 450watt power supply, ermm.. I don't know what brand it is, but it looks crappy
    Windows XP Professional
    I wanna play Crysis, those first person shooting games, and some racing games.
    I have 2.5GB of RAM
    My monitor's native resolution... I have to find out about it first, I'll report back ASAP!!!!!

    **EDIT**

    Native resolution is 1280x1024
  24. alexcheng said:
    This computer was bought by my dad and I had no idea where he got all the components, so I might not know a few details... But I'll tell you as much as I can

    I have a 450watt power supply, ermm.. I don't know what brand it is, but it looks crappy
    Windows XP Professional
    I wanna play Crysis, those first person shooting games, and some racing games.
    I have 2.5GB of RAM
    My monitor's native resolution... I have to find out about it first, I'll report back ASAP!!!!!


    To find out your native res you can just go to the display settings and look at the slider, the highest resolution on that slider bar will be the native resolution.
  25. edeawillrule said:
    To find out your native res you can just go to the display settings and look at the slider, the highest resolution on that slider bar will be the native resolution.


    It's 1280x1024 =)
  26. I just remembered a very important question, what is your current Pentium 4's clock speed? For some reason I thought someone had already asked. It's 2 AM here so I'm a little out of it at the moment XD
  27. edeawillrule said:
    I just remembered a very important question, what is your current Pentium 4's clock speed? For some reason I thought someone had already asked. It's 2 AM here so I'm a little out of it at the moment XD


    xDD 2AM? wow...

    okay, the stock clock speed is 2.80GHz
  28. alexcheng said:
    xDD 2AM? wow...

    okay, the stock clock speed is 2.80GHz


    Well sorry to say that's the minimum cpu requirement for Crysis so unless you get that C2D upgrade your comp is gonna struggle big time. Crysis is pretty much the most intensive game in existence so you're gonna need more processing muscle than what you have now.

    Once you find out whether your mobo is at least Rev. 2.0 or higher or not then come back here and we'll find you a good cpu and gpu upgrade.

    If it isn't 2.0 or higher then the card that would be most suitable for you is the Radeon HD 4650. It will still be held back a bit by that P4 but it'll be an unbelievably huge upgrade from the card you have now, at least 5x faster.

    512mb HIS Radeon HD 4650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161303

    If it is 2.0 or higher then a 4670 would be more suitable with the cpu upgrade. At your monitor's resolution though you wouldn't need a stronger card than that. A 5770 like you said before would be a waste.
  29. edeawillrule said:
    Well sorry to say that's the minimum cpu requirement for Crysis so unless you get that C2D upgrade your comp is gonna struggle big time. Crysis is pretty much the most intensive game in existence so you're gonna need more processing muscle than what you have now.

    Once you find out whether your mobo is at least Rev. 2.0 or higher or not then come back here and we'll find you a good cpu and gpu upgrade.

    If it isn't 2.0 or higher then the card that would be most suitable for you is the Radeon HD 4650. It will still be held back a bit by that P4 but it'll be an unbelievably huge upgrade from the card you have now, at least 5x faster.

    512mb HIS Radeon HD 4650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161303

    If it is 2.0 or higher then a 4670 would be more suitable with the cpu upgrade. At your monitor's resolution though you wouldn't need a stronger card than that. A 5770 like you said before would be a waste.


    Okay, erm, where can I find out if my motherboard is R2.0? On the boxing? On the board itself?
  30. alexcheng said:
    Okay, erm, where can I find out if my motherboard is R2.0? On the boxing? On the board itself?


    Um it may be on the box itself or on a bar code stuck to the box but if it isn't then it'll be somewhere on the board like justaguywitha said. If it's on the board then good luck finding where it is printed at lol.

    I'm gonna get some sleep though it's 3 AM now and I'm a bit tired lol. I'll check this thread when I get up in the morning to see what you find out and we can move on from there.
  31. edeawillrule said:
    Um it may be on the box itself or on a bar code stuck to the box but if it isn't then it'll be somewhere on the board like justaguywitha said. If it's on the board then good luck finding where it is printed at lol.

    I'm gonna get some sleep though it's 3 AM now and I'm a bit tired lol. I'll check this thread when I get up in the morning to see what you find out and we can move on from there.


    Man thanks for staying with me this late, I really appreciated it

    Thanks a lot, I'll find out what version my motherboard is

    THANKS!!!! :hello: :sleep:
  32. alexcheng said:
    Man thanks for staying with me this late, I really appreciated it

    Thanks a lot, I'll find out what version my motherboard is

    THANKS!!!! :hello: :sleep:


    You're welcome :]
  33. edeawillrule said:
    You're welcome :]


    I know you might be asleep now, but my motherboard is the R2.0

    =D
  34. sirheck said:
    It should work fine. What CPU do you have for it?


    Unfortunately, im not sure. I have problem with an old Asus mobo with Sapphire 5770 VaporX.

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-277446_15_0.html
  35. alexcheng said:
    I know you might be asleep now, but my motherboard is the R2.0

    =D


    Can't sleep right now for some reason XD
    That's great! I'll post a cpu and gpu recommendation in a few minutes.
  36. This is the only cpu from the supported cpus list that I can still find for sale anywhere: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116075

    It may be a Celeron but compared to the Pentium 4 you have now it'll fly! Don't let the clock speed fool you, it's dual core and the Core 2 architecture has double the performance per clock of the Pentium 4. So basically a 1Ghz Core 2 Duo would be the equivalent of a 4 Ghz Pentium 4.

    As for gpu since you're doing the cpu upgrade I recommend a Radeon HD 4670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102854

    With that setup you'll be able to play Crysis at medium with some settings on high no problem :]
    And it won't cost an arm and a leg either :D
  37. edeawillrule said:
    This is the only cpu from the supported cpus list that I can still find for sale anywhere: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116075

    It may be a Celeron but compared to the Pentium 4 you have now it'll fly! Don't let the clock speed fool you, it's dual core and the Core 2 architecture has double the performance per clock of the Pentium 4. So basically a 1Ghz Core 2 Duo would be the equivalent of a 4 Ghz Pentium 4.

    As for gpu since you're doing the cpu upgrade I recommend a Radeon HD 4670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102854

    With that setup you'll be able to play Crysis at medium with some settings on high no problem :]
    And it won't cost an arm and a leg either :D


    Wow, the CPU is really cheap, but if it'll boost up the performance, why not? xDDD

    Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
  38. Hey, why not a Core 2 Duo but a Celeron?

    And, I thought Pentiums are better than Celeron?
  39. alexcheng said:
    Hey, why not a Core 2 Duo but a Celeron?


    That Celeron actually is a Core 2 Duo, it just has less L2 Cache and a slower fsb than its mainstream counterparts.
    I would have recommended a normal Core 2 Duo but none of the ones on the cpu compatibility list for your motherboard can be found anymore except for used ones on ebay.
  40. alexcheng said:
    Wow, the CPU is really cheap, but if it'll boost up the performance, why not? xDDD

    Thanks a lot!!!!!!!


    You're welcome :]
  41. edeawillrule said:
    That Celeron actually is a Core 2 Duo, it just has less L2 Cache and a slower fsb than its mainstream counterparts.
    I would have recommended a normal Core 2 Duo but none of the ones on the cpu compatibility list for your motherboard can be found anymore except for used ones on ebay.


    Ohhh... I see...

    Maybe I should consider change the motherboard, CPU, and the GPU all at once :/
  42. alexcheng said:
    Ohhh... I see...

    Maybe I should consider change the motherboard, CPU, and the GPU all at once :/


    That's when you just purchase a new computer (which is pretty much you would be doing if you did all that).
  43. edeawillrule said:
    That's when you just purchase a new computer (which is pretty much you would be doing if you did all that).


    That's exactly what I would want to do, but that exactly what my mom would not want to do...

    Oh by the way, I sent you a private message, might as well check it out~ =DD

    THanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards ATI Graphics Product