CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello, my GQ comp i bought at Fry's back in '04 is really slow now. How can i help speed it back up?

Solution

My personal opinion of Iobit is a very low one but others will think differently. However, the poster who made the original suggestion hasn't come back to challenge my comment. The choice is yours.

ComboFix, however, is a valuable tool but not one to be used lightly. It's best to read thoroughly the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com before using it. MalwareBytes is the right tool for the first stage of this job and you might only need ComboFix if there are still signs of malware after MBAM has scanned.

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thank you again, I am downloading CCleaner, gonna give it a run and see what happens ... Hmm, I got more RAM (from 256 to it's 2G capacity) for it awhile back thinking that would speed it up a little, actually made it slower(?), so I took the chip back .. I have heard of a clean OS install, might try that, too.

Advanbced System Care is oneof the biggest malware threats around at the moment and everyone should steer well clear of it and anything else that comes out of Iobit.

For someone who picks up days old threads with your "scan your computer for virus" comment, princesiddiqui, you have a strange idea of curing malware.

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Hi, could you take a moment to tell me for example what could happen to my computer having Advanced System Care 5 on it, as far as the malware issue goes ? -Thank you-

In short, it could end up with the system being totally wrecked in seconds flat. MalwareBytes is more trustworthy and efficient and it's free from http://www.malwarebytes.org. It's best installed, updated (twice) then run in Safe Mode then you can safely let it remove anything it finds.. If you have any doubts after the scan completes, please post the log back here.

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Thank you, I have deleted IObit's stuff and downloaded MalwareBytes. I'll inform you of performance improvements.

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
And, one more question: Why was there no speed improvement when i added more memory(?), it actually got slower with the new chip installed .. This was about 2 years ago, i knew a lot less then, i took the chip back, put in the old one it came with. It can take up to 2G, it has 756 in it now.

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

So, are you recommending that I delete any thing IObit on my comps ? ... Btw, evervthing you have advised me to do has worked out real good for the old desktop and also my two newer laptops are running like new again, actually faster than new .. About the chips in the desktop, i'm pretty sure I had them matched up right, both were PC 2700 DDR 333Mhz (FSB). Does that sound correct to you? .. The chips are much less expensive than a year ago I noticed, too, maybe I will go back and get 2G's worth, that's it's max capacity. It came with 256 of which I had immediately upgraded to 756, I think .. One more tidbit, I was attempting to download 'ComboFix' and my temporarily disabled AVG program popped back to life with a bright red malware virus threat prompt on the screen(C:\ComboFix\REGT.3XE - Severity Level 4), have you seen this happen before ?

My personal opinion of Iobit is a very low one but others will think differently. However, the poster who made the original suggestion hasn't come back to challenge my comment. The choice is yours.

ComboFix, however, is a valuable tool but not one to be used lightly. It's best to read thoroughly the instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com before using it. MalwareBytes is the right tool for the first stage of this job and you might only need ComboFix if there are still signs of malware after MBAM has scanned.

Solution

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Thank you, you have thoroughly assisted me with my comps, they are responding with a marked improvement. My two laptops run faster than when I first bought them. I have also adjusted the allocated paging RAM to the laptop's recommended settings which also improved the response as well, gonna tweak the desktop, too. :D

CeeVee

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi again, well of course something is not right and I need some help with it ... On my VAIO laptop that is running Vista Home Premium / 32bit / SP2 (I know this an XP forum, but thot i'd ask anyway) cannot download Windows Updates nor run Windows Defender as well as get the updates for it, did I perhaps unknowingly (as a 'youngster' might do) uncheck something in MSCONFIG's Services and/or Startup that may be a part of Windows Update and Windows Defender ? They are both indicated as checked and running in MSCONFIG(?), so yes, I am now a bit confused .. Also, Windows Security Center will not enable and indicates there is no anti-virus on my system even though I have AVG enabled and running ? .. Yep, gonna need some assistance on this one, thank you ... I'll just learn more ...