Overclocking asus p5kpl-se and cpu q6600

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
HI!im a newer to overclock so i want to oc my q6600
my mobo has an auto-oc option but when i turn it on i could not pass the 15%
i read topics about overclocking this motherboard but nothing works fine for me so im stuck here
mo asus p5kpl-se
cpu intel core duo quad q6600@2.4Ghz with cooler master sphere
4 gb ram corsair xms2 800mhz
HDD 500gb MAXTOR
ATI RADEON HD6570 2GB ddr3

i can change all bellow options
AI Overclocking
CPU Frequency
DRAM Frequency

Memory over voltage
1.30 over voltage
VTT_CPU over voltage
1.5 V over voltage
VCore over voltage

can anybody help my please???

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
As you turn UP the CPU frequency, turn DOWN the DRAM frequency. Those two are related by a formula. On that board, you can easily keep the CPU voltage stock (and all other voltages stock) and increase the CPU frequency until you hit 2.53 ghz before the BIOS automatically upping the core voltage for you. You will have to drop the memory frequency one notch (whatever the next lower frequency is) when you up to 2.53 ghz. Beyond that, you will also have to experiment with the voltage and monitor the temperatures.

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
DRAM frequency set to 677 minimum can i set it
i rise the cpu frequency up to 2.88ghz
i uset just thease 2 settings all rest set to default
it boot it up but when i run prime 95 it give me this error:
FATAL ERROR:Rounding was 0.5,expected les than 0.4
Hardware failure detected,consult stress.txt file
Torture test completed 0 tests i 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings
Worker stopped.
it give me this error on each worker
what i did wrong??

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

It seems that the voltage on the CPU cores are too low so you are getting rounding errors due to computational errors in the cores.

Try upping the core voltage ONE notch, see if the problem goes away. Give it at LEAST a few hours to torture test on BLEND (~24 hours to make sure). If the problem doesn't go away, up the core voltage one more notch. If you have an option for Load Line Calibration (or LLC) in your BIOS, enable this too.

You can keep an eye on the Temperatures by using an utility program like CoreTemp (free), HWmonitor (free version available), load them up before you start the Prime 95, so you can see idle and max during load.

Also get a copy of CPU-Z (free too), and see what your RAM speed is actually at.

What heatsink do you have ?

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
i have more options which should be core voltage or which i have to rise with one notch?
Memory over voltage
1.30 over voltage
VTT_CPU over voltage
1.5 V over voltage
VCore over voltage

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Memory leave alone. Unless you OC'd your ram, and you shouldn't yet.
1.30 over voltage - I have no idea what the 1.30 is doing on your board, best leave this alone.
VTT_CPU over voltage - Leave alone for now.
1.5 V over voltage - leave alone for now.
VCore - This is the one you want to SLOWLY up, and run Prime, if it crashes, up it one more notch (in fine steps). If it doesn't crash any more, leave Prime 95 on Blend over night and see if it crashes.

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
it seems to be ok..i run prime for 10 min and it doesnt crash(withouth increasing core voltage it crash in 1 minute)
i also found some options for the cpu while i was searching for the core voltages

cpu ratio settings - min 06.0 max 09.0
C1E support - this should be enable or disable the "Enhanced Halt State"
MAX CPUID Value Limit
Vanderpool Tecnology
CPU TM Function - For the processorits CPUID belows 0F41h.TM2 only can be enable under below setting:
1.Freq.>=3.6GHz FSB800
2.Freq.>=2.8Ghz FSB 533
Execute Disable Bit - When disabled,force the XD feature flag to always return 0
Intel SpeedStep Tech - Enabled:CPU speed controled by Operating system
Disabled:Default CPU speed

all thease settings can be enabled or disabled
i am not understanding what should be enable or disable
u can tell me how i should sett all off thease???
now im running with:
Freaquency : 2.84Ghz
FSB speed : 1264Mhz
ratio actual : 9
CPUID : 6FB

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

CPU Ratio, Leave this alone for now.
C1E, Enable this.
Max CPUID, Disable.
Vanderpool, Enable.
CPU TM, leave this default.
Execute Disable Bit, Enable.
Intel Speed Step, Enable.

Your FSB, Frequency looks good. With your cooler, you MIGHT be able to reach 3.0 Ghz.

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
i am not getting more than 2.89GHz
is not booting up if i rise cpu frequency with one notch
CPU Frequency 320(2.89GHZ)
DRAM Frequency 667Mhz
is something that not allows me to ghet more and i dont know what

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You have tried to increase the Vcore, right ? What's the current Vcore at ?

EDIT: And can you go to windows, use CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the CPU info page and the Memory Info page ?

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
vcore - autto,+50 mv,+100mv,+150mv and i set it to +50
heare is the screenshot http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/desktopfc.jpg/

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
i dont have any option like this
i only have thease 5
Memory over voltage
1.30 over voltage
VTT_CPU over voltage
1.5 V over voltage
VCore over voltage

1.3V over voltage - manual set MCH chipset voltage
VTT_CPU over voltage - manual set FSB termination voltage
1.5V over voltage - manual set ICH chipset voltage
Vcore - auto,+50mv ecc..
that is all can i change

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That is likely because you left the overclocking setting to Ai or automatic. Set that to Manual instead, then these options will come up.

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
its set to manual and i tried to change it all the whay possible and thouse are all the settings that i have
i think because is a shitty motherboard
so what i should do to get more that 2.89
its possible?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

This is absolutely possible. Although the higher you go, the more effort this becomes.

You have a Q6600 with G0 stepping, the most desirable stepping for overclocking the Q6600.

BUT, the biggest problem with the Core 2 Quad series is the lack of memory bandwidth. So whatever speed you settle at, make sure you maximize the ram speed at 800 Mhz (which you are currently at with the last screen shots you gave me). That is a sweet spot that you won't have any memory issues and your CPU is fast.

It is not necessary to get the CPU speed as high as possible, because the gains per Mhz becomes smaller as you OC more. So if you have it at 2.8 ghz, that is +400mhz per core already. Another 200 mhz per core won't get you much.

Lastly, if your motherboard is as you say, "shitty", then if you OC too much, you may destroy the CPU Voltage Regulators and leave you with a dead board... I know that the P5K's don't have a very robust VRM as it is from experience.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Theoretically you can. BUT, there are no good 775 boards being sold any more. All of them are not OC friendly and are based on G31/41 chipsets.

The LGA775 is a dead platform, and a little old in the teeth. If you want to, you can try selling it online or locally and see if you can get enough money to buy something else.

BUT, 2.88 ghz is still pretty decent. That's a 20% OC per core.

scriciulete

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
so..what should i do?if i sell this what should i buy?
if i sell it i have to buy a new cpu and a new ram..and also a new power supplyXD