Which Graphic Card For a 1080P TV/Monitor

mburnell

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have a 28" Hannspree LCD TV/Monitor with full HD 1920/1200 Resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio and 3ms GTG Response Time. My computer has an asus M2N-SLI motherboard, 2ghz AMD CPU, 4gb of kingston memory, 600 watt psu, and a EVGA e-GeForce 8600 GT video card. The video card is only giving me 1280X720 resolution. I would like to take advantage of the full resolution of my monitor. What video cards would you select for me to do this? Thanks in advance

^ Agreed. Try uninstalling drivers. Then download and install the latest nVidia Forceware drivers for your system. That video card is capable of displaying 1920x1200.

If you want to play games, I'd upgrade the video card. But if you just want to watch TV / Movies there's no point.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The 8600gt (with the HDMI) should be able to. I used to have one but it did not have the HDMI output and I just had the DVi to HDMi but it did not utilize the sound at the same output and instead it went through the motherboard. If I were you, I would upgrade and at least invest in a GTX260 216sp. The one with an HDMI output so you can at least play 1080p and all HD formats at its best. Your games could then be played at 1920x1080, which is already full HD.

If you use the 8600gt, few games would be able to get past the 30FPS threshold for decent framerates in a game as the screen resolution or size would be too large to handle. You might end up getting a slideshow instead of playing the game. Imagine playing Crysis on medium with that card but the game would STILL stutter with probably 15FPS. Games like Crysis, FarCry2, Stalker2,GTA4,Gears of War, Batman, Dragon Age, World in conflict, Assasins Creed, Dirt,Grid, and some CODs would not run as well with the 8600, so contrary to what people are saying, I think you sohuld invest on the GTX260 or ATi 5770 with an HDMI.

mburnell

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the replies everybody. I wiped the old drivers out and started over again. Still can't get the native resolution out of the monitor. When I tried to play a video of my kids it was stuttering from the get go. So I think upgrading the video card is a good idea.

It's contrary because you are focusing on gaming, something he never mentioned, while everyone else is responding to what the guy actually said.
Like everyone else is saying your current card really should be able to handle that resolution. If installing the latest video/chipset drivers didn't help then perhaps you should contact EVGA. If they cant help you I believe their cards come with lifetime warranties so they may send you a more modern replacement.
If you just want to get a new card something like an HD4350 should be fine although I wouldn't call it an "upgrade."

TRENDING THREADS